"Sechelt...The Sunshine Coast" Sechelt by Darby2
Sechelt Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 45 photos
A ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale brings you to the wonderful Sunshine Coast just a short distance northwest of Vancouver.
One of the chief attractions here is the famous Skookumchuk Rapids in Sechelt Inlet when the tide changes create an oceanic river that surges through the 450 meter-wide narrows at speeds of more than 14 Knots. The rapids creat a challenge to the most daring surfers and kayakers. On a 3 meter tide more than 200 billion gallons of water surge through this gap. The name "Skookumchuck" means "fast water" in the Chinook language.
Here is a movie of the daring!!
Watch this dramatic video of a large tugboat towing a loaded barge suddenly capsizing and rolling over in the middle of Skookumchuck Narrows. Luckily, no one was killed but it shows the hazards of navigation in these dangerous waters.
Several picturesque villages will be found along the way including:
Read about some of the other ocean rapids in this area:
Running the Rapids
Photo courtesy Egmont Marina
Just north of the Sechelt Penninsula is a small park, recently created to preserve what is believed to be the oldest living trees in B.C. The Caren Range Uplands park has several ancient Yellow Cedar trees that are nearly 2000 years old. A recent ring count on a stump of a downed tree gave an age of 1878 years.
More information on this link:
Counting the rings
Jervis Inlet which snakes its way inland north of the Sechelt Penninsula for about 45 miles has been sounded to more than 4000' making it the deepest fjord on the face of the earth.
Powell Lake near the town of Powell River. is one of the deepest lakes in the area and prior to the ice age was connected to the sea. Samples of seawater have been taken from the deepest parts of the lake, more than 1600 feet down. Powell River itself is one of the shortest rivers....a mere 500 meters long, although some would claim that Tsusiat river which empties directly onto the beach via Tsusiat Falls on Vancouver Island's west coast has that honor...merely less than 5-10 feet!
- Pros:One of the world's greatest ocean rapids
- In a nutshell:A great day trip from Vancouver
Darby2's Related Pages
Sechelt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sechelt Summer Vacation 2013"
- "More details soon!"
- "The Sunshine Coast, B.C."
- "Sechelt and the Sunshine Coast"
- "Sechelt...The Sunshine Coast"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sechelt
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Sechelt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sechelt
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 88 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues