"Smoky Lake, Giant Pumpkin Capital of Alberta" Smoky Lake by Darby2
Smoky Lake Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 33 photos
Every October the town of Smoky Lake hosts the Great White North Pumpkin Festival. In addidtion to the big pumpkins there is also a threshing demonstration with an antique steam tractor. Current local Pumpkin champ for Alberta is John Lobay from Smoky Lake with a 751 pounder. Archie Lingi from Kelowna, BC set a new site record in 2001 with a 903.5 pounder.
However, in 2006, Don Crews of Lloydminster set the new Alberta record with a 1029 pound monster....not only that, he had the grand slam...also the biggest squash and biggest watermelon. During the festival the town's population swells from 1200 to more than 6000!
1999 saw John smash the Smoky Lake record with this 751 pound pumpkin!
To see the weighoff results for 2001,
The threshing bee at the Smoky Lake Museum more travel advice
Darby2's Related Pages
Smoky Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Smoky Lake, Giant Pumpkin Capital of Alberta"
- "Pumpkins and a Victorian Settlement"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Smoky Lake
- 3 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Smoky Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Smoky Lake
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 88 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues