"Dave's Big Island Page (more than just palm trees)" Hawaii (State of) by Darby2

Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide: 10,603 reviews and 27,502 photos

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizzare and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Douglas Adams ........The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I've been to Hawaii only once.

In the fall of 1978, my friend Alan and I went to the BigIsland to visit the new Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope (CFHT) then under construction on the summit of Mauna Kea. We brought along our own telescopes and set them up on floor of the vacant observatory dome. Quite an effort to breathe at this elevation of nearly 14,000 feet! But the view of the night sky was extraordinary! No wonder this is considered to be the best observing site in the world.

To learn more about the CFHT: CFHT

Photo: Trifid Nebula in Sagittarius courtesy CFHT
We stayed at the Kona Tiki Motel right on the waterfront (I think it was a mere $32.00 a night) and set our telescopes on the seawall to view the wonders of the night sky from this latitude. Fresh Kona coffee in the morning, fresh fruit from the motel's own banana and papaya trees! Dangling our feet over the seawall to feed the tropical fish just below.

Of course we toured the whole of the Big Island as well, from the Volcanoes national Park, the Fern Forest near Mauna Loa, the Macadamia Nut farms, Akaka Falls, the Kalapana black sand beach, and lots more places.

The east side of the big Island is lush with tropical vegtation

• Last visit to Hawaii (State of): Dec 1969
  • Intro Updated Aug 2, 2003

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2007 at 12:10 PM

I like your pictures, Dave, and wonderful stories... The stars are superb!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2006 at 3:26 AM

a star studied page indeed. just reading up ahead of my visitors from from hawaii for weekend in june

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2005 at 4:21 PM

My husband made the trek to Mauna Kea's summit for the telescopes. When we were in Bora Bora one of my highlights was seeing the "Southern Cross".

• Dumpymotel's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2004 at 1:26 PM

Most people go to Hawaii for the Bikini girls and the poo poo platers.... It looks like an awesome place to see stars as well.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2004 at 4:24 PM

Certainly an unique approach to Hawaii. My daughter is getting married soon and that is where they are going on their honeymoon.

• Acore_Beauty_4_U_Luv's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2003 at 5:27 PM

Wow, Great pics! I have an infrared heat back massager...am I scientifikky enough? ciao Marcelle ahhhh...info is KQQL as well :P

• TropicGirl77's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2003 at 10:17 AM

We're hoping to make it to the Observatory on our visit next month. Thanks ever so for the cold weather tips ... who woulda thought!

• Bohemedream's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2003 at 7:37 PM

Wow! I lived on the Big Island and never saw anything like that from up on Mauna Kea! Then again, I didn't have a telescope! Kona Tiki is still going strong..

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2003 at 6:25 AM

Incredible nice pic's dave , going to Oahu next week I can't wait , great stuff

• sonjaWhite's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2003 at 5:23 PM

nice tips.

Darby2

“"Stay Calm, Be Brave, and Watch for the Signs"”

Badges & Stats in Hawaii (State of)

Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?