"Dave's Big Island Page (more than just palm trees)" Hawaii (State of) by Darby2
Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide: 10,846 reviews and 28,474 photos
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizzare and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
Douglas Adams ........The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
I've been to Hawaii only once.
In the fall of 1978, my friend Alan and I went to the BigIsland to visit the new Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope (CFHT) then under construction on the summit of Mauna Kea. We brought along our own telescopes and set them up on floor of the vacant observatory dome. Quite an effort to breathe at this elevation of nearly 14,000 feet! But the view of the night sky was extraordinary! No wonder this is considered to be the best observing site in the world.
To learn more about the CFHT: CFHT
Photo: Trifid Nebula in Sagittarius courtesy CFHT
We stayed at the Kona Tiki Motel right on the waterfront (I think it was a mere $32.00 a night) and set our telescopes on the seawall to view the wonders of the night sky from this latitude. Fresh Kona coffee in the morning, fresh fruit from the motel's own banana and papaya trees! Dangling our feet over the seawall to feed the tropical fish just below.
Of course we toured the whole of the Big Island as well, from the Volcanoes national Park, the Fern Forest near Mauna Loa, the Macadamia Nut farms, Akaka Falls, the Kalapana black sand beach, and lots more places.
The east side of the big Island is lush with tropical vegtation
The summit of Mauna Kea gets considerible snowfall, take warm clothing and be prepared for high winds and high altitude... more travel advice
Kona Tiki Motel in Kona, right on the waterfront. Unpretentious. Lava flowing into the sea Photographs by Jean-Charles... more travel advice
Written Sep 5, 2002
The Mighty Keck Telescopes
Written Sep 5, 2002
Darby2's Related Pages
Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hang Loose in Hawaii"
- "Hawaiian Islands ~ GO Virtual"
- "A Month In Paradise"
- "Hawaii this beautiful place we fell in love with."
- "diver-x's Hawaii Page"
- "Scenic Hawaii"
- "BlueCollar's Hawai‘i"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hawaii (State of)
- Hotels in Hawaii (State of)
- Transportation in Hawaii (State of)
- Nightlife in Hawaii (State of)
- Restaurants in Hawaii (State of)
- Shopping in Hawaii (State of)
- Warnings and Dangers in Hawaii (State of)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hawaii (State of)
- 16 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hawaii (State of)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: We have Liftoff!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kona Tiki Motel in Kona, right..."
- updated a Hawaii (State of) Travel Page "Dave's Big Island Page (more than just palm trees)"
- Wrote a Review The summit of Mauna Kea gets... in Hawaii (State of) Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of Sweetberry1's Hawaii (State of) travel pages
Photos in Hawaii (State of)See All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 83 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues