"Thalor's home in Germantown" Germantown by Thalor

Germantown Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 2 photos

I have lived in Germantown, Maryland since I bought a townhouse here in October 1990.

It is a quiet little DC area suburb that is rapidly growing. When I first moved here I was amazed there were 3 shopping centers within a one mile radius of my townhouse, and a mall 4 miles away - straight down I-270 interstate. Where I grew up in Springfield, Virginia we were half a mile from the nearest shopping center and the only other ones near to us were 5 miles away.

Now, with the rapid commercial and residential growth in Germantown there are more than half a dozen shopping centers within that 5 mile radius. The former family homestead in Springfield however has the same shopping center geography situation.

Germantown has a fine library. And as of yesterday (5/3/2002) they have a huge cinema (yay!) which makes up for the closing of our Lowes cinema last year after the franchise was bought up by Sony and subsequently pruned. With all the growth in the area during the past year, I am sure Sony regrets that decision! Especially now that someone else owns the sole theater in town. There are two others nearby - but they are 3-4 miles away each, so I am quite happy there is a place in town to patronize again when I have the urge to see a movie. I definitely was going to the cinema less, following Sony's pull-out.

The upcounty government center is smack dab in the middle of town. It really is becoming like a "Town", finally. Last year a new shopping center was put in and it is designed along that sort of "old town" theme that is becoming popular in the area.

There are several churches in the area. Germantown, definitely a surburban town, is bordered by lots of smaller quaint old little towns and less surburban more rural areas too.

It is a fun place to hang out and in the spring and summer months very pleasant in terms of weather.

Sadly there are no amusement or theme parks here but there are some little parks nearby.

Germantown has its own high school, Seneca Valley High - just two blocks from my house. It seems pretty modern and has its own greenhouse even. There are surveillance cameras in the school building itself - which really creeped me out when I came their to vote last time.

I feel sad for today's youth that they have to grow up as kids in places that can no longer say they are completely safe for them, or as relaxed as they might be. Security cameras are like being constantly passively stalked. I can see how it has its place in shopping malls,where stores can sort of say, "look we don't trust you because we are constantly being ripped off so we have to watch everybody, no offense to you personally". For a kid who just wants to play in the halls, talk to their friends, and run to class before the bell rings - it must feel funny to be under electronic surveillance.

There is some tourist info at the upcounty government center. And there is a commuter train station in Germantown that has info on historic rides you can take. Plus you can catch train rides into DC during the week during regular commuting hours.

• Intro Written Jun 23, 2002

Comments

Thalor

“don`t wait, act now”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Germantown

Have you been to Germantown?

Latest Activity in Germantown