"Alghero" Alghero by Catspjm
Alghero Travel Guide: 178 reviews and 361 photos
Alghero was one of the most surprising places I've visited in Italy. Like most V.T users there is a fair amount of pounding the guide books before I visit anywhere. Everything I read commented on the enormous Catalan influence and that the town has become known as 'Little Barcelona'. Why?? Lol
For basically a tourist destination, I found it to be one of the most 'authentically Italian' towns I've come across. Unlike Sorrento or Florence, 90% of the accents you hear will be Italian and the majority of the tourist trade is from the Italian mainland.
The old town and the Centro storico are breath taking. Miles of cobbled streets that you can wander round for hours in a feeling of total safety, with the security of knowing that because the town is actually quite compact, you are never more than a few minutes from a main street or square. Stop every so often in one of these squares and have a coffee, have a Sambuca, have a pastry. It pays to slow down and soon you will be reminded what life really is all about.
The old port really is worth seeing. Still very much a working marina with yachts big and small jostling for position to enjoy the delights of Alghero.
<img src="http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/bigwx_cond/language/www/global/stations/16520.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Alghero, Italy Forecast" height=60 width=468></a>
- Pros:Authentic, relaxed, inexpensive
- Cons:English not just as widely spoken as mainland Italy
- In a nutshell:Makes you wonder why you put up with the daily 9 - 5 grind back home.
I've heard rumors of a big club a few miles out of town, but it's strange. The pace of life doesn't really lend itself... more travel advice
The beaches around Sardinia are straight out of a travel brochure. Crystal clear water and if you find the right one off... more travel advice
Catspjm's Related Pages
Alghero Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alghero - Where Bari meets Barcelona"
- "ENCHANTING ALGHERO!"
- "Catalan taste"
- "The perfect relaxing holiday!"
- "El país català de Sardenya"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alghero
- Hotels in Alghero
- Transportation in Alghero
- Nightlife in Alghero
- Restaurants in Alghero
- Shopping in Alghero
- Warnings and Dangers in Alghero
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alghero
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Alghero?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alghero
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 28 reviews, 23 photos
- Portstewart Intro, 14 reviews, 29 photos
- Alghero Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sorrento Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Ayia Napa Intro, 7 reviews, 2 photos
- Galway Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Capri Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Sligo Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Bellagio Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos