"Wieliczka Salt Mine" Wieliczka by balfor
Wieliczka Travel Guide: 118 reviews and 490 photos
The Wieliczka salt mine was originally placed into production in the 13th century and continued in commercial production until the 1990's. Salt is still mined there for tourists souvenirs but not for the commercial production of salt. Most of the mine open to the public starts about 180 feet (60 meters) underground
Most of the mine open to the public starts about 180 feet (60 meters) underground and continues to approximately 400 feet (135 meters) underground. The photo was approximately halfway down the stairs and looking toward the bottom.
There are dioramas set up for how the ancients used to mine salt through relatively modern times with horses, ropes, pulleys and turnstiles. We even had a few VT'ers try their hand at raising and lowering a bucket from the level below.
- Pros:Very interesting
- Cons:Too many chambers left unexplored
- In a nutshell:Very cool place, and not as chilly as expected for underground!
balfor's Related Pages
Wieliczka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A visit to a salt mine"
- "Amazing salt mine - Wieliczka"
- "The Wieliczka Salt Mine"
- "700-year-old the Wieliczka Salt Mine"
- "WIELICZKA SALT MINE"
- "Underground tourist route"
- "WIELICZKA SALT MINE TOUR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wieliczka
- Transportation in Wieliczka
- Restaurants in Wieliczka
- Shopping in Wieliczka
- Warnings and Dangers in Wieliczka
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wieliczka
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Wieliczka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wieliczka
Top 10 Pages
- Atlanta Intro, 28 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 49 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 8 reviews, 92 photos, 11 travelogues
- Aberdeen Intro, 29 reviews, 27 photos
- Marbella Intro, 5 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thule Intro, 11 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hapeville Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Bamberg Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Aboyne Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos