"Aberdeen, A great base to see the Grampians" Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen by balfor

Aberdeen Travel Guide: 490 reviews and 903 photos

Aberdeen was my first stop in Scotland and provided a nice base to explore the Grampians. Aberdeen is a nice location to begin your exploration of the Castle Trail and the Whiskey Trail. If you are there in the summer, there are also quite a few towns and villages within easy reach to enjoy a day or two of the Highland Games which go on throughout Scotland.

For an irreverent look at the games, check out my Aboyne page. ;-) I'll put a bit more conventional info about the games here in Aberdeen as that is where we were staying when we visited the games. :-)

• Pros:Easy to reach, good central location.
  • Cons:Everything in Aberdeen is grey. :-(
  • In a nutshell:A good base to visit the Grampians from!
  • Last visit to Aberdeen: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2003

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Hi, Chris! I see you bad a great stay in Aberdeen!)

• balfor's Profile Photo
      Aug 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Yes, it was a very cool trip.... I need to make another one since it's been a decade (or more) since the last trip to Scotland!

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Did I mention this is my mum's hometown, and I lived here 7 years? Lovely city.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Happy Birthday Chris !

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2008 at 1:39 AM

I strongly suspect there 's Scots blood flowing through your veins - as well as the whisky. If the skirl of the pipes stirs your blood, you are one of us.

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2007 at 7:40 AM

Thats great enjoy and it will be cooler soon...Go Braves...Well maybe next year..

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 4:09 AM

Which one is Sean Connery?!......We still have these highland game get togethers in NZ and Australia - but on UK turf is so much better!I got to a few but the best was racing from Iceland to get to the Royals one at Balmoral!!xlnt!

• Jun 15, 2007 at 2:19 AM

Just to let you know as I am sure others have..Frankenstein the bar in aberdeen is a chain of bars. There are ones in glasgow and aberdeen. I remember it opening maybe ten years ago. I think someone may have been teasing you.

• beret's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 11:39 AM

Every large organization has it's moments. Maybe if everyone in the airline industry wore kilts, they would have more of them.

• Apr 21, 2005 at 11:49 AM

This place doesn't look grey at all. And where else do you find a Frankenstein Pub? Seeeeriously: Nice page Chris!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2004 at 1:34 PM

Aberdeen Grey ..... No Way .....| Watch this space!

balfor

“Okay, I got it all together.... now where did I put it?”

Badges & Stats in Aberdeen

Have you been to Aberdeen?

Latest Activity in Aberdeen