"urban4est's Wuhan Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Wuhan by urban4est

Wuhan Travel Guide: 168 reviews and 520 photos

Wuhan was my first step into China. I arrived at the Tianhe Airport. From there I was taken to Lianhuashan (Lotus Mountain)on the outskirts of Ezhou.

I lived there for 8 days. It was a wonderful time learning Chinese culture and making new friends. The people of Ezhou were friendly and helpful. Even without speaking Chinese (and few at Lianhuashan spoke English), I managed with help from my appointed translator, Mr. Yi. From Miss Li I learned dance for health and well-being.

The food I ate at the street vendors and in the Hotel dining room was very simple. It was not the Chinese food I am used to in America. I learned how to stir fry and make noodles. Now I cook it at home.

Lianhuashan is a wonderful retreat for Well-Being. It has a hotel that is very comfortable. Meals are easily available at the hotel, the employee/student dining rooms or from small restaurants and vendors outside the compound. A large Traditional Chinese Medicine hospital is the focus of the retreat. It specializes in Energy Healing. The retreat is built on an energy vortex and amplified by the use of Feng Shui. The hospital has treated from nervous disorders to final stage cancer. The environment there is quiet and relaxing. An excellent place to get away from it all to learn or relax.

Pictures of Lianhuashan and info on staying at the resort are at www.urban4est.com/505.htm .

After leaving Ezhou, I returned to Wuhan to see the Yellow Crane Tower and enjoy the best Vegetarian food I have experienced in a beautiful restaurant. The restaurant is associated with a Taoist Temple nearby.
I also saw the Aquatic Park exhibiting huge river Sturgeon. They also have a lovely exhibit on the history of Goldfish breeding. Unfortunately at this time there isn't a live Fresh Water Dolphin on exhibit.
Eating noodles and other dishes at the multitude of street vendors set up to serve breakfast is a fun experience. Wuhan is known for this and had more street vendors cooking than any place else i visited.

After Wuhan I went by train (a 17 hour sleeper car) to Shanghai. There I visited the Jewish Community Museum.
This Synagogue was an escape route from Nazi Germany during the 1930's and 40's for many Jews.

I finished my first trip to China at Beijing and climbing the multitude of steep stone steps at the Great Wall.

This was a wonderful experience. It was so good that I am already arranging my next visit. Hope to see you there!

• Last visit to Wuhan: May 2002
  • Intro Written Aug 6, 2002

• crewrower's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Mao slowed China's development because lots of ppl were executed. Mao was a better military leader than poet I'd say. Nice tip anyway though :)

• abvideo's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2005 at 4:09 AM

Mao having been a poor economist, but a talented poet is a really funny statement !! :-))

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2005 at 4:28 AM

Nice page on Wuhan - I love the restaurant tips! Sounds as if you really enjoyed your visit there!!

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2004 at 3:30 AM

a really good page, we liked Wuhan, even though it rained all the time we were here ! the Chinese people we met were wonderful, I cant wait to go back

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2004 at 11:54 PM

Nice page. You are right about the food. The Chinese restaurants in the USA, UK etc use msg, sugar, artificial colourings etc to appeal to the Western palate. Food in China is simpler & more natural.

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 10:36 PM

Yes, I could see myself visiting here, enjoying the retreat and learning the dance - what a lovely thing to do. Thank you.

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2004 at 11:07 PM

Hmm, the fried bread looks yummy. I bet it tastes superb dipped in soya bean milk.

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 11:06 PM

the food sounds yummy! :) and your negotiation skills at the Mao shop was super duper!

• evona's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2004 at 5:41 AM

China is a very fascinating country. Nice little page :)

• Grazina's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2004 at 9:21 AM

Looks mmmm...but there's nothing like good old Navajo Fry bread...NOT Indian frybread, BUT "Navajo frybread". ^o^

urban4est

“May each place you pass be better for your having been there and may you grow from having passed by.”

Badges & Stats in Wuhan