"THREE CAPITALS IN FIVE DAYS" Vilnius by Sininen

Vilnius Travel Guide: 1,727 reviews and 3,554 photos

I dare to use the title of ‘Three Capitals’ here because it sounds good even flamboyant, though there’s no evidence of that being the truth in the case of Trakai, though it might have served as a capital for a couple of years during the reign of Grand Duke Gediminas. Did you know by the way that in the 15th century Lithuania was the largest country in Europe? It spread from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea and in the east near to Moscow.

One of my Brazilian pals was travelling in the Baltic States and we had agreed to meet on the day of my arrival as he was off to Warsaw that night. We met in front of my guesthouse and he was my guide that day. We walked in Old Town and he told me about the buildings and the background to them, so I learned a lot of new things that day. We went into many churches that day and I must say that I couldn’t say which one was which as at the end all of them were mixed in my head. There are 29 churches only in the Old Town Vilnius! It was funny to see the cultural differences between my friend and me. He preferred the very decorated churches while those with white walls and ceilings appeal more to me. I think that they are calming and are better surroundings for calming down to praying and worshipping God. Also he liked streets full of people and was surprised how early they emptied at night. I love quite streets with no or very few people and that’s why I got up early in the morning to take a walk and take photos in peace before the street filled with people.

We had dinner at McDonald’s! It was the first time for me since 1998 when Ulla and I ate in one in Birmingham between the trains. Dalton is afraid of getting some tummy bug and therefore avoids local foods. Another difference! I want to taste local foods and never think if they could cause me upset stomach. We decided to go to the Gediminas Hill to see the Higher Castle or what is left of it. Somehow I thought that the climbing there would be harder so I chose to take the funicular. We admired the view over the city but didn’t go to the tower. Dalton didn’t want to climb up the 100 steps (72 of them only as I later learned) but offered to wait for me if I wanted to go up. Before he had to take his bus we still had coffee in the Užupio Café, which is set by the River Vilnia.

• Last visit to Vilnius: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 25, 2006

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Great page; I hope to go there one day!

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2007 at 3:46 AM

Hi Sini, wonderful Vilnius page, great tips. Brought back some lovely memories. You certainly saw a few churches! fergy.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2007 at 9:29 AM

Nice page. Ciao!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 9:15 AM

Thanks Sini for very interesting page! Though you were overdosed of churches and ignored by a waitress in the icecream parlour it seems to me you were pleased with this beautiful city. I'vent been there since 1968 but may be one day...

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2006 at 11:07 AM

hi sini! did i miss it or have you really not been to st.peter and paul's church? it's the most beautiful church in vilnius, definitely a must for your next visit... good page still! but you're right, it's easy to get enough from all the churches!

• evona's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2006 at 9:54 AM

Great pics and interesting infos. I have been in Vilnius 2001, but I don`t have pics.... :)

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2006 at 6:50 PM

These are the best photos I've seen of Lithuania. I'd love to visit someday. Glad you enjoyed my shots of Edinburgh.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2006 at 11:15 PM

Very interesting page! So many churches!

• spanishguy's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Wow, estupenda página de Vilna!! I enjoyed a lot my trip to Vilnius and I see you did it too. Wonderful pictures and very descriptive information. ¡Espero volver a Lituania!

• zaffaran's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2005 at 2:45 AM

Sini, in the 15th century Lithuania formed one country with Poland which was ruled by one king in Krakow -it was called sth like the Kingdom of Poland and Great Dukedom of Lithuania. :-))

Sininen

“You can do it!”

Badges & Stats in Vilnius

Have you been to Vilnius?

Latest Activity in Vilnius