Riga Things to Do Tips by Sininen
Riga Things to Do: 713 reviews and 1,383 photos
They say that the organ of the cathedral is world famous - maybe so. Beautiful it is, I cannot deny it. The originla organ was installed in the 16th century but the present one was built in 1884 in Germany. It has 6718 pipes and 124 stops and even by cathedral standards it is large. The organ case dates back to the 16th century and is work of Jakob Raab.
Even after several days' of walking I managed to find new streets and see more beautiful buildings.
Sometimes it is just nice to take a walk and let your imagination fly. Don't think what these buildings are and what's the history behind them. Let them capture your imagination and please your eyes! Find your own Riga!
Roman Catholic Cathedral of Riga was originally built outside the city walls between 1225-1226, but it has been rebuilt several times. The sanctuary and the naves are originla though. The church has changed hands on several occasions. After the Reformation it became a Lutheran parish church, in 1582 it was handed to Jesuit order and in 1621 it became Swedish garrison church and finally in 1922 it was returned to the Catholic church!
The present castle is a last structure of three which have stood here. The two others were Livonian castles and the first one was built in 1330 and the second in 1515. People of Riga destroyed the castle in 1487 and were foreced to build a new one by wlater von Plettenberg, who was the last head of the Livonian Order. It was completed in 1515 and included so called Lead Tower (Svina tornis), which still stands.
To enter the cathedral (Doma katedrãle). I had to pay the entrance fee of 0,50 lats and 2 lats (one lat is 1,4 euros) for taking photos. Latter I though was quite expensive, but what I could do. They began to build the cathedral in 1211, when the country was catholic. Building it took such a long time that the styles and materials changed over the years. Because of the lack of money they were only able to afford to build one steeple instead of planned two. The tower was burnt in 1547 and in 1595 a new one of 140 m tall was built. It was replaced in 1776 by a 90-meters high steeple, because the structure of the old steeple was getting rotten and they didn’t want any more accidents after the steeple of St. Peter’s church collapsed and 8 people were killed. In the reformation the Dome became Lutheran, like most churches in Latvia, and lost its original name St. Mary’s. The Dome is under decorating and many parts of it cannot be visited, but what I saw was really beautiful and solemn. The organ of the dome is world famous (they say) and very beautiful indeed. I also loved the colourful leaded windows, altar and the ceiling. In the hall there’s huge chandelier, which I found very pretty.
Address: Doma Laukums, Cathedral square
Numbers 17, 19 and 21 in Maza pils are know as three brothers. The oldest of them with the Germanic step-gable and it dates back to the 15th century. They claim that it is the oldest domestic building in Riga.
Address: Maza pils iela 17, 19 and 21
In St. John*s Courtyard (Jana Seta) and Church (Jana baznica) you can see part of the city wall while the other side of the quadrangle are a café, bar and restaurant.
More Reviews (19)
Sininen's Related Pages
Riga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A few days in Riga"
- "Riga - biggest town in Baltic States"
- "Riga - the capital of Baltic's"
- "Riga Latvia"
- "ART NOUVEAU RIGA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga
- Hotels in Riga
- Transportation in Riga
- Nightlife in Riga
- Restaurants in Riga
- Shopping in Riga
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hiyoshi Hotels
- Ørje Hotels
- Cape Le Grand National Park Hotels
- Puerto Nuevo Hotels
- Vashon Island
- Bukit Mertajam
- Kejimkujik National Park
Badges & Stats in Riga
- 43 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Riga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lahti Intro, 47 reviews, 143 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 33 reviews, 130 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 38 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 43 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vyborg Intro, 20 reviews, 85 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nokia Intro, 27 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 25 reviews, 64 photos
- Lago di Como Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (24)
Latest Riga hotel reviews
- PK Riga Hotel
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- City Hotel Bruninieks
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Dome Pearl Hostel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2012
- Gutenbergs Hotel Riga
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Hotel Edvards
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- Ramavas Muiza
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Jul 20, 2012
- Baltic Beach Coral
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 12, 2013
- Elizabeth's Youth Hostel Riga
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Hanza Hotel Riga
- 178 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Argonaut Hostel
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Red Roofs Hotel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Friendly Fun Franks Backpackers Hostel
- 96 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hotel Bergs
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Tia Riga
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 11, 2013
- St. Peter's Church- 57 Reviews, 125 Photos
- Central Market- 22 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Old Town- 47 Reviews, 110 Photos
- Freedom Monument- 46 Reviews, 95 Photos
- House of Blackheads- 37 Reviews, 75 Photos
- Three Brothers- 17 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Museum of the Occupation of Latvia- 26 Reviews, 49 Photos
- Orthodox Cathedral- 18 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Powder Tower- 23 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Art Nouveau Buildings- 28 Reviews, 64 Photos
See All Riga Things to Do