"ISLAND OF FLOWERS" Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island by Sininen
Madeira Island Travel Guide: 815 reviews and 2,029 photos
The plane took off in time and though the flight was 6 hours it went very quickly. We were offered a glass of champagne by the travel agency and I decided to have it, though I usually don’t drink any alcohol. I could have skipped that one, too. It wasn’t good at all. I’ve had a few glasses of the stuff in the past and have never liked it, so I think it’s very much overrated. Ulla and I had three seats to ourselves, so we were comfortable. The plane was smaller than the usual charter flight planes because the strip in Madeira airport is short, so we had thought that there would be very little room for the passengers. I managed to sleep on the plane for an hour or so and so did Ulla though she always claims that she never sleeps on any kind of vehicle! J
We landed half an hour early on Madeira, got our luggage and went to see if we could find our guide. No problem there. We had to leave our luggage with some guy as they were taken to the hotel on a separate bus. My dear friend is a pessimist and said she was sure that we’d never see our luggage again! What nonsense, I thought but didn’t say anything. So we sat on the bus surrounded by all these Finnish tourists and I felt so uncomfortable. It’s been years since I’ve taken a package holiday and I had completely forgotten what it was like. I tried to enjoy the scenery, which was absolutely stunning, but I have to say that I was most annoyed and wanted to get away from all those tourists. Then we arrived in Funchal, which is the capital of Madeira and there were hotels, hotels and more hotels. I wanted to take the first plane back to Finland then! I was sure that our holiday would be a disaster and swore to myself that it was the last package holiday I’d take.
We unpacked decided to take a walk and see some of Funchal. I still felt that I was in a wrong place and felt disappointment. Everywhere I could hear people speak Finnish and there were a lot of tourists from Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Great Britain and the usual Germans. Trees and plants were in full bloom and they were so beautiful. The Atlantic Ocean, which is never far on Madeira, was beautiful and blue. The sun was shining and no clouds on the sky, but still I felt that it wasn’t my place. I wanted to leave the hotel area and walk to the centre but Ulla was tired so we decided to leave it for the following day. On our way back to the hotel we had coffee and a piece of fruitcake in a nice café and it cost only €1,10. I still think that the lady charged us for one coffee and one cake only as on other days we paid for plain coffee as much as €1,50 each. Cake was too much and we could have shared one piece between us, but we manage to finish them anyway. Before going back we still did some shopping in the market. Though we were tired or because of it we didn’t fall asleep for quite some time but talked and giggled in bed. We were remembering all the funny things we had experienced together during our previous holidays.
- Pros:Breathtaking nature, ideal for walks
- Cons:Lots of hills, if you are not fit could be difficult
- In a nutshell:I will be back - absolutely wonderful
A great decision as we got up to the mountains. The path went through meadows full of flowers, bushes, heather trees,... more travel advice
In the evening we liked to sit on our balcony and admire the gorgeous sunset. more travel advice
Sininen's Related Pages
Madeira Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madeira Island - Sculpted by Gods"
- "Madeira - Small archipelago of volcanic orgin."
- "Madeira: spectacular island of tunnels"
- "ISLAND OF FLOWERS"
- "ilha da madeira"
- "An island of flowers and stunning scenery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madeira Island
- Hotels in Madeira Island
- Transportation in Madeira Island
- Nightlife in Madeira Island
- Restaurants in Madeira Island
- Shopping in Madeira Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Madeira Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madeira Island
- 33 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Madeira Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madeira Island
- Posted in Travel South Africa Forum "Re: Not a Travel Question but a..."
- Commented on one of AnaMargarida's Madeira Island travel pages
- updated a Madeira Island Travelogue "CACTI IN THE BOTANICAL GARDENS"
- Uploaded a Photo to "CACTI IN THE BOTANICAL GARDENS"
- Wrote a Review CURRAL DAS FREIRAS - THE WALK CONTINUED in Madeira Island Things to Do
Photos in Madeira IslandSee All Photos (130)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lahti Intro, 47 reviews, 143 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 33 reviews, 130 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 38 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 43 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vyborg Intro, 20 reviews, 85 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nokia Intro, 27 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 25 reviews, 64 photos
- Lago di Como Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos