"CAPITAL OF SOUTH FINLAND'S PROVINCE" Top 5 Page for this destination Hämeenlinna by Sininen
Hämeenlinna Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 81 photos
Finland's General Governor Pietari Brahe gave town rights, so called privilegio, to Hämeenlinna in 1639. the town however remained very small. In 1777 King Gustav III of Sweden decided that the town would be transferred to the other side of Hämeen linna castle. From 1775 Hämeenlinna had the government of the provinces of Uudenmaa and Häme.
In 1831 big part of the city was burnt. after it architect C.J. Engel designed a new plan and a new empire styled wooden town was born.
The population grew slowly. In 795 1346 people, in 1875 3506, in 1935 9494, in 1945 10542, in 1960 28.298, in 975 40761and in 2000 46108.
Hämeenlinna can be easily reached from Helsinki, Tampere, Turku and from here Lahti by train or bus.
Every castle needs a moat and Hämeen linna castle wasn't an exception. When we look at the pitiful ditch which separates... more travel advice
Unfortunately there are no furniture in the castle, but still it is worth a deeper look and has lots of interesting... more travel advice
Sininen's Related Pages
Hämeenlinna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hämeenlinna - My town is my castle"
- "CAPITAL OF SOUTH FINLAND'S PROVINCE"
- "Capital of Häme"
- "Good old home town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hämeenlinna
- Hotels in Hämeenlinna
- Transportation in Hämeenlinna
- Nightlife in Hämeenlinna
- Restaurants in Hämeenlinna
- Shopping in Hämeenlinna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hämeenlinna
- 4 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Hämeenlinna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hämeenlinna
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lahti Intro, 47 reviews, 143 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 33 reviews, 130 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 38 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 43 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vyborg Intro, 20 reviews, 85 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nokia Intro, 27 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 25 reviews, 64 photos
- Lago di Como Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos