"IN LOVE WITH GRANADA" Top 5 Page for this destination Granada by Sininen

Granada Travel Guide: 397 reviews and 1,204 photos

I am not a fan of cities and planned to spend max. two days in Granada. Countryside and nature in Central America is so beautiful and unique and I ahd decided to skip cities as much as possible. Anyway I ended up staying a week with some side trips to the neighbour towns and villages. Though I had read about Granada beforehand and knew that there are colonial houses I didn't think that there would be so many of them. I fell in love with that colourful city and its people. Still I don't think that I would have stayed there seven days if I hadn't met a Finnish lady who has a school for homeless girls there and she took me to places I would not have a chance to go alone. Sometimes destiny or whatever you want to call it makes the decisions for us.

I was having what I thought would be my last breakfast in Granada when the waiter asked where I was from. "Finland" I answered and was expecting the bewildered look which would have told me that he had no idea where Finland is, but I was surprised. "Finland! My English teacher is from Finland!" he said. He continued: "You are coming here tomorrow?" I had planned to leave Granada that morning but changed my mind. One day wouldn't do any harm, so I told him that I might come back. I thought that he wanted to intoroduce me to his English teacher and my fellow country woman.

So early next morning I walked to that café and had my breakfast and coffee and just as I was finishing it Silvio (the waiter) came to me with a blonde woman and told her that he wanted her to meet somebody. She greeted me in English and asked where I was and imagine her surprise when she learnt that I was from Finland. We chatted for a while and she invited me for a lunch and I agreed. I had decided that it would be definitely my last day in Granada, but I was wrong!

• Pros:Colonial houses, Lago Cocibolca, people
  • Cons:Tourists -maybe...
  • In a nutshell:Stay one day, another day and you don't want to leave!
  • Last visit to Granada: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 30, 2006

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Great tips!

• Mar 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I am from Nicaragua, I have been to Hanko Finland. Stayed with a Finnish friend and her spouse. I miss the cloudberry wine and jam (Lakka Lapponia?) and the karelia pies.

• Apr 1, 2008 at 5:22 AM

Great page, I especially enjoyed your local custom tips :)

• Hermanater's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Thank you for the birthday wishes...I too, would like to go back to Nicaragua...beautiful place, beautiful people.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 1:10 AM

Very interesting page with some excellent tips. Thanks for sharing.

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2006 at 4:56 AM

Excellent writing, Sini. The children's home broke my heart. I'll be back to read more. Thanks!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 1:50 AM

Hi Sini, this is a very informative page. I'm hoping to visit Central America next year and from what I read of Granada it sounds like an interesting city.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2006 at 12:00 AM

Hi, Sini! Granada is really great and your tips are very interesting and informative. Thanks.

• DPando's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2006 at 11:50 AM

nice shots and lovely place to be there

• jacquisuiza's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2006 at 1:51 PM

Hi Sini, best Nightlife Tip i ever read. Still not finished yet watching your site. Really can’t wait to go there.

Sininen

“You can do it!”

Badges & Stats in Granada

Have you been to Granada?

Latest Activity in Granada