"IN LOVE WITH GRANADA" Top 5 Page for this destination Granada by Sininen
Granada Travel Guide: 406 reviews and 1,237 photos
I am not a fan of cities and planned to spend max. two days in Granada. Countryside and nature in Central America is so beautiful and unique and I ahd decided to skip cities as much as possible. Anyway I ended up staying a week with some side trips to the neighbour towns and villages. Though I had read about Granada beforehand and knew that there are colonial houses I didn't think that there would be so many of them. I fell in love with that colourful city and its people. Still I don't think that I would have stayed there seven days if I hadn't met a Finnish lady who has a school for homeless girls there and she took me to places I would not have a chance to go alone. Sometimes destiny or whatever you want to call it makes the decisions for us.
I was having what I thought would be my last breakfast in Granada when the waiter asked where I was from. "Finland" I answered and was expecting the bewildered look which would have told me that he had no idea where Finland is, but I was surprised. "Finland! My English teacher is from Finland!" he said. He continued: "You are coming here tomorrow?" I had planned to leave Granada that morning but changed my mind. One day wouldn't do any harm, so I told him that I might come back. I thought that he wanted to intoroduce me to his English teacher and my fellow country woman.
So early next morning I walked to that café and had my breakfast and coffee and just as I was finishing it Silvio (the waiter) came to me with a blonde woman and told her that he wanted her to meet somebody. She greeted me in English and asked where I was and imagine her surprise when she learnt that I was from Finland. We chatted for a while and she invited me for a lunch and I agreed. I had decided that it would be definitely my last day in Granada, but I was wrong!
- Pros:Colonial houses, Lago Cocibolca, people
- Cons:Tourists -maybe...
- In a nutshell:Stay one day, another day and you don't want to leave!
There are a couple of small supermarkets in Granada but local people still do their shopping in the market. Market is... more travel advice
The Finnish lady I met in Granada asked if I would like to join her when she went to children's home to play with the... more travel advice
Sininen's Related Pages
Granada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IN LOVE WITH GRANADA"
- "Granada, Nicaragua"
- "Travel Notes from Granada, Nicaragua"
- "Granada: the colonial jewel of Nicaragua"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granada
- Hotels in Granada
- Transportation in Granada
- Nightlife in Granada
- Restaurants in Granada
- Shopping in Granada
- Warnings and Dangers in Granada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Granada
- 25 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Granada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granada
Photos in GranadaSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lahti Intro, 47 reviews, 143 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 33 reviews, 130 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 38 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 43 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vyborg Intro, 20 reviews, 85 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nokia Intro, 27 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 21 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 25 reviews, 64 photos
- Lago di Como Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos