"MY FIRST TOUCH WITH TROPIC" Negril by Sininen

Negril Travel Guide: 439 reviews and 983 photos

The plane landed in Kingston and it took nearly two hours before it took off again - such bore. Were 20 minute flight from Montego Bay, but couldn't get there! They cleaned the plane and the crew was changed and naturally some passengers left and others came in. It was so hot in the plane, too. Finally we arrived in Montego Bay and it was nearly dark at 18.30 and ever so hot and humid. My sister and I were guided to the hall and the boys went with other passengers. Then I had to leave others and go to some office with all our passports and filled forms. Everything in the Mo'Bay's airport reminded me of some communist country. It was almost frightening. The man in the office didn't say much and he looked very unfriendly, but all went well and I got a stamp to each passport and got out. The same young man guided us out of the building.

It was all so sudden that we didn't have a chance to think and before we noticed we were sitting in a taxi on the way to Negril, where our hotel was. By then it was dark and we couldn't see very much. The taxi driver said that the temperature was +35 degrees C! Great!? We had read that it's hardly ever over 26 degrees in Jamaica!!! Already then we got an idea of the terrible way Jamaican people drive. It's something you have to experience, it's impossible to describe by words. We however arrived safely to the hotel and checked in. By then we had been up for nearly 30 hours! Guess what we did first! No, we didn't go to sleep, but for a swim in the Caribbean Sea, under Caribbean moon and sky. It was so wonderful. Water was very warm and there were hardly any waves there and it was almost dark. We really enjoyed it! We ate something before going to bed and it took a long time before I fell asleep and by 4.00 a.m. I was full awake, though I stayed in bed until 6.00 a.m. We got up every morning at 6.00 a.m. and took the morning swim before having breakfast.

• Last visit to Negril: Apr 1997
  • Intro Updated Dec 26, 2005

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed the Caribbean sea and the snorkeling. It has been a long time since I visited Jamaica, but my memory is that the people were not nice.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2008 at 2:58 AM

Useful warning, and helpful to know that the snorkelling is so good here as that's something I'm really looking forward too :)

• DPando's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 2:12 AM

gorgeous beaches !!!!! nice page dear

Sininen