"IN COLD IN TEGUCIGALPA" Top 5 Page for this destination Tegucigalpa by Sininen

Tegucigalpa Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 103 photos

I had been trying to avoid big cities as much as possible but deciced that I'd stay one day in the capital of Honduras just to prove myself that I was not afraid of cities. I arrived there by bus from Valle de Ángeles and as I was having a nasty cold I was not in my best mood to fight against the taxi drivers who surrounded me as soon as I got out of the bus. I would rather have had time to look at my guide book and find out where exactly I was but gave up when this persistent taxi driver wouldn't leave. He asked where I wanted to go and I said that to a cheap and clean hotel. Usually I don't 'trust' anybody else's advice but this time I was too tired to fight. We agreed the rate, 30 lempiras, and off we went. Hotel where he took me was actually only three blocks away so I could have walked there, but never mind.

The driver didn't have change so he came with me to the hotel and waited until I checked in. Well, the receptionist didn't have change either, so he sent a cleaning lady to exchange my 500 lempiras. She returned but still the bills were too large and the driver couldn't get his fee. The cleaning lady left again and finally I could pay both the taxi ride and my room. The receptionist told me that the taxi driver's fee was too small and made it sound as an accusation! He didn't know how long ride I took and after all I paid the driver what he asked, because as I've already mentioned I was too tired to fight. Probably I paid too much!

I had a quick shower and changed clothes. On the way to the hotel I saw that a bank was open though it was Saturday so I walked there as I wanted to have enough money for the weekend. I was prepared to have a real hassle with my T/C's (see my Granada and Léon pages) but all went smoothly and ten minutes later I was back in the street ready to conquer Tegucigalpa.

• Last visit to Tegucigalpa: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 4, 2005

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2010 at 5:49 AM

everywhere in the world at border check-points we meet officials who try to steal money from us

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2009 at 6:30 AM

I plan to visit Teguicigalpa at least one day during my visit to Central America. Thanks for the tips!

• Aug 1, 2008 at 7:02 AM

This used to be the Presidential Palace, not the Supreme Court.

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 4:42 PM

I always fancied to visit Tegucigalpa just for its name. Great tips!!!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 11:45 AM

You go to some fascinating places!

• quime's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2006 at 12:03 PM

I reallu enjor¡yed your comments of Tegus and your runny nose, great short tales that makes my afternoon! soon I will be in Honduras

• DPando's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 2:11 AM

this page bring me great ideas for my next trip ....more or less like che guevara trip !!!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2006 at 9:43 AM

It sounds like one needs to be wary when exploring Tegucigalpa. It's good you didn't let your experience dampen your spirits, too much. The colonial buildings looked so interesting!

• Ken_Weaver's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2006 at 9:56 PM

No Jewelry! no Watches! is a good way to travel in Central America! I am hoping to make Honduras my next country to visit in C.A.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2006 at 10:47 AM

Thanks for stopping by my Breda pages Sini. Interesting Tegucigalpa page. Glad you didn't come to any harm while there. That sure was a close one eh?

Sininen

“You can do it!”

Badges & Stats in Tegucigalpa

Have you been to Tegucigalpa?

Latest Activity in Tegucigalpa