"The place where my HEART belongs..." Top 5 Page for this destination Jönköping by sunset_gal
Jönköping Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 83 photos
My home for 4 months in the second half of 2003, J?nk?ping is a lovely place to be! Situated at the bottom of the 2nd largest lake in Sweden, Lake V?ttern, it is at the crossroads between Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malm?.
The distances between J?nk?ping and the following places:
Stockholm - 330 km
Gothenburg - 140 km
Copenhagen - 290 km
Mitt hj?rta - ZERO! :D
J?nk?ping is one of the 10 largest municipalities in Sweden. Founded in the 13th century, it has about 118,000 inhabitants.
J?nk?ping is well-known for many things. One would be its many, and I mean, many small and medium-sized enterprises - nearly 10,000 to be exact. Another would be its central location for trade and fairs - Elmia Conference and Exhibition Centre. Also, one of Sweden's best ice hockey teams, HV71, hails from J?nk?ping!!
Oh, oh, oh, I almost forgot! The Match Museum in J?nk?ping! J?nk?ping has become famous because of the safety match which was invented and manufactured right here! This is the world's ONLY match museum. Pretty HOT huh? ;-) You will find the museum in the first match factory building built in 1848.
If you like modern architecture, Jönköping University is the place to gawp and drool. Comprising of 4 schools - Business, Engineering, Education and Communication, Health Sciences - the buildings are as different as day and night.
My favourite buildings are those that belong to the Business Faculty and the Library. While on exchange with the Business School, it actually made going to school a lot easier haha.
What's really special is the University Library. Part of the library is in a former foundry dating from 1914. But a new 3-storey building has since been added to the original part.
More pics and info will be coming up!
- Pros:Old-town charm, at the crossroads of major cities
- Cons:Quite small
- In a nutshell:A place that you can actually live in and love it!
Jönköping, at the bottom tip of Lake Vättern, is a good vantage point. At the train station, you can cross the overhead... more travel advice
sunset_gal's Related Pages
Jönköping Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "J Ö N K Ö P I N G"
- "The place where my HEART belongs..."
- "The BIG little City Jönköping"
- "A city with 2 ö"
- "sharkie's Jonkoping page"
- "Tulin's new Jonkoping Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jönköping
- Hotels in Jönköping
- Transportation in Jönköping
- Restaurants in Jönköping
- Shopping in Jönköping
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jönköping
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Jönköping?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jönköping
Top 10 Pages
- Madrid Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Perth Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ronda Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provins Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Hobart Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gränna Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Segovia Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jönköping Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Singapore Intro, 1 review, 3 photos