"Explore the Middle Ages.." Top 5 Page for this destination Provins by sunset_gal
Provins Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 207 photos
Located 80 km southeast of Paris, I came to this town by chance. This was not where I intended to go at first, but my trip to Provins had proved to be one of my most memorable.
Provins became part of the UNESCO World Heritage List since 13th December 2001. This small French town, which goes a long way back in time, has kept its medieval urban layout. There are at least 58 monuments dating back to the 11th to 13th century.
The town was one of the first financial market in Europe but its importance faded with time. Its seclusion has led Provins to become a very well-preserved town.
During the Middle ages, water was indispensable for many trades: cloth manufacturer, dyer, tanner, butcher...Here in Provins, you can find many houses built alongside water canals like this. Very pretty!
There are a lot of things to see in Provins and I think it is underrated compared to some of its more popular French counterparts. There are the walls, ruins, monuments, museums and tunnels from the Middle Ages.
Be sure to check out my tips!
- In a nutshell:Go back in time...
The medieval walls are a definite must-see. This was what protected the town from its enemies. It is possible to go up... more travel advice
It would probably be better to arm yourself with a map before arriving in Provins as the train station at one end of the... more travel advice
sunset_gal's Related Pages
Provins Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Provins: The Past Lives"
- "Take a break from Paris"
- "Explore the Middle Ages.."
- "A romantic medieval village near Paris"
- "One -day trip"
- "The time machine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provins
- Hotels in Provins
- Transportation in Provins
- Restaurants in Provins
- Shopping in Provins
- Warnings and Dangers in Provins
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provins
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Provins?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provins
Top 10 Pages
- Madrid Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Perth Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ronda Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provins Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Hobart Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gränna Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Segovia Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jönköping Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Singapore Intro, 1 review, 3 photos