"Explore the Middle Ages.." Top 5 Page for this destination Provins by sunset_gal

Provins Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 207 photos

Located 80 km southeast of Paris, I came to this town by chance. This was not where I intended to go at first, but my trip to Provins had proved to be one of my most memorable.

Provins became part of the UNESCO World Heritage List since 13th December 2001. This small French town, which goes a long way back in time, has kept its medieval urban layout. There are at least 58 monuments dating back to the 11th to 13th century.

The town was one of the first financial market in Europe but its importance faded with time. Its seclusion has led Provins to become a very well-preserved town.

During the Middle ages, water was indispensable for many trades: cloth manufacturer, dyer, tanner, butcher...Here in Provins, you can find many houses built alongside water canals like this. Very pretty!

There are a lot of things to see in Provins and I think it is underrated compared to some of its more popular French counterparts. There are the walls, ruins, monuments, museums and tunnels from the Middle Ages.

Be sure to check out my tips!

• In a nutshell:Go back in time...
  • Last visit to Provins: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 11, 2004

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2004 at 8:58 AM

Thanks for the great tips and photos of Provins. My wife and I plan to visit there this fall. If you have any other suggestions, I would welcome them. Rex

sunset_gal

“A Sm:)e is Universal!”

Badges & Stats in Provins

Have you been to Provins?

Latest Activity in Provins