Republic of Serbia Local Custom Tips by goga4444 Top 5 Page for this destination
Republic of Serbia Local Customs: 55 reviews and 55 photos
Different cultures have developed their own ways of decorating Easter eggs. As well as here in different parts od Serbia we have different customs .. But one is general : First painted RED egg stays in the house , to keep it safe till next Easter. All other eggs are eaten after Easter fast ( 7 weeks long , people that folows it don't eat meat or any animal product , including milk , cheese ...eggs. Sometime it is alowed to eat fish )
There is like compettition on Easter : who can find the strongest egg , in order to smash other eggs :))
Eggs on pic were hand painted in the very OLD FASHION TECHNIQUE first wax is melted with candle fire and then it is used to paint with it on the egg ... and then cooked in water with brown onion leaves. Next they take of the wax and those surfaces stays white .
Serbian Orthodox church , like Russian still uses the old Julian calendar , and not Gregorian , as all Chatolic and some Orthodox churches ( and countries). So Orthodox Christmass eve is on 6 th january ... And christmas on 7 th January
We kiss people we like, 3 TIMES in the cheek. That is traditional welcome : )))
Phone: kiss ,kiss, kiss
Cup of coffee
If you order coffee here you will get something called Turkish coffee ( if you have already tried coffee in Turkey , this is not the same LOL ) "Turkish " coffee is made of ground coffee beans ... You take cup of water and you boil it , next take it of the hot plate and add one teaspoone of sugar and one teaspoone of coffee , and stir it . Next put it back on the hot plate and wait untill it "grovs " just a little bit , so it won't get out he he .And the Turkish coffee is ready to be served in small cups ...It is very strong , for those that are not used to it .
And offcourse you can order nesscaffee, espresso , cappuccino, ice coffee...with milk ...
If you visit someone and they offer you a cup of coffee (and it will happen for sure ) they mean turkish coffee .
In Serbia , every Orthodox family has one Saint protector . Mostly it is Sveti Nikola ( St. Nick ) and we celbrate Dec 19 th as The Day of Sveti Nikola .My family celebrates it too . There is a saying that half of Serbian families celbrates Sveti Nikola , and the other half is visiting the first half LOL . Anyway you make big lunch and invite your friends and family and have great time talking, drinking , singing ...whatever you like .
Serbian Orthodox church uses old Julian calendar , which is 14 days late from the official one . So Orthodox New Year is celebrated on Jan 13 /14 th . So if you are coming at that time find some nice place to celerbrate with others ... Well we use any occasion to have fun :)
Three kisses are MUST LOL
We celebrate Dec 31/ Jan 1 too ...
*** Stores are open from 7 or 8 am till 8 pm , except for very few , that work from 7 am till noon , and again from 5 pm till 8 pm . ***Public Holidays are: Jan 1-2 New Year,
Apr 27 Statehood day, May 1-2 Labor day. Plus some Orthodox Christian holidays like Bozic Jan 7. Stores might not work during those holidays (it depends on the store) *** Internet cafes exist in all cities and towns.
*** Serbian people generally like sports ( to watch , talk about and play : ) especially soccer , basketball, volleyball… (on pic: Stadium of Red Star, Crvena zvezda).
More Reviews (51)
- See All Jelena Jankovic
- See All Christmas Eve Dinner
- See All Montenegro
- See All Lepenski Vir, 8 000 years ago there were...
- See All NEWS on Serbia
goga4444's Related Pages
Republic of Serbia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "S R B I J A"
- "Welcome to my world ..."
- "WELCOME TO SERBIA"
- "Republic of Serbia"
- "Visiting medieval monasteries"
- "Budapest->Belgrade->Sofia->Istanbul: the..."
- "Vostani Serbije!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Republic of Serbia
- Hotels in Republic of Serbia
- Transportation in Republic of Serbia
- Nightlife in Republic of Serbia
- Restaurants in Republic of Serbia
- Shopping in Republic of Serbia
- Warnings and Dangers in Republic of Serbia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Republic of Serbia
- 284 Reviews
- 444 Photos
- 35 Forum posts
- 15 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Republic of Serbia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Republic of Serbia
- updated a Republic of Serbia Travel Page "Welcome to my world ..."
- Posted in Travel Novi Sad Forum "Re: Driving from Zagreb to Novi Sad"
- Wrote a Review Jelena Jankovic in Republic of Serbia Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Jelena Jankovic"
- Commented on one of KonstantinII's Republic of Serbia travel pages
Photos in Republic of SerbiaSee All Photos (444)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Serbia Intro, 59 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayvalik Intro, 18 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thasos Island Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Novi Sad Intro, 26 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Smederevo Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Doboj Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergama Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos
- Veliko Gradiste Intro, 16 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues