"Heavenly breaths of nature" Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora by AndyRG
Meteora Travel Guide: 383 reviews and 966 photos
Meteora is a large site of gigantic rock pinnacles with historical monasteries on their tops, being on the world heritage list since 1988 ("Meteora" means "suspended in air").
From around 9th century AD hermits lived in the caverns of the region. They slowly became organised and in the 14th century the first constructions started. There were 24 monasteries in the past, 6 still operate.
Meteora is about 350 km NW of Athens, 22 km NW far away from Trikala, the capital of the prefecture where the site belongs (in the northwest corner of Thessaly, to the east of Pindos mountain).
Most of the monasteries are open between 09.00-13.00 and 15.00-17.00, 6 days in a week (the exact day of being closed varies from monastery to monastery). Each one charges a small admission fee.
Be there with appropriate clothing, otherwise skirts and shawls will be given to you at the entrance.
Even if you are not interested in religious matters, the amazing views will be an experience not easily forgotten.
The breathtaking landscape that has been sculpted by wind and water over thousands of years faces God itself (it depends on the eyes of your soul if this becomes more or less real), it makes you do the same...
The magnificent rocks attract millions of tourists, they pass by and then leave, but these miracles of nature stand... more travel advice
The little bell-tower of the monastery of Agios Nikolaos Anapafsas lies on the roof of it, at its highest point. It is... more travel advice
AndyRG's Related Pages
Meteora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Meteora & Kalambaka"
- "A Place Devoted to God"
- "...beyond Kalambaka (over Kastraki) - Meteoraki:)"
- "Heavenly breaths of nature"
- "''Suspended in the air''."
- "This is the place YOU HAVE TO SEE! "
- "Soaring Rocks..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Meteora
- Hotels in Meteora
- Transportation in Meteora
- Nightlife in Meteora
- Restaurants in Meteora
- Shopping in Meteora
- Warnings and Dangers in Meteora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meteora
- 27 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Meteora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meteora
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 228 reviews, 254 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monemvasia Intro, 58 reviews, 61 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 54 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oia Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mistras Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Spetses Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Achaia Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spetses Island Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos