"Alive Byzantium!" Top 5 Page for this destination Mistras by AndyRG
Mistras Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 92 photos
Mistras, a mediaeval fortress-state, occupies a foothill on the slopes of Mountain Taygetos, 6 km NW of the ancient city of Sparta, in Peloponnese (about 250 km south of Athens).
Houses, mansions, palaces, churches and monasteries have covered the hill, so nice to walk there, lost in time...
The Byzantines made themselves masters of Mistras in 1262 and a brilliant period for this state began. This despotate was developed into an important cultural centre, with close links with Constantinople.
The churches are the most important and interesting monuments of the site, nowadays some of their murals can still be seen.
The castle crowns the hill, it was built in 1249. It played an important role in the history of the last centuries of the byzantine empire, before falling to the Turks in 1460.
The view from it is unique!
Climbing to the top of the hill to be inside the castle maybe sounds a little bit tiring, but the view you enjoy from... more travel advice
The castle on the top of the hill was founded in 1249 by a Frank leader. After 1262 it came under byzantine control,... more travel advice
AndyRG's Related Pages
Mistras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alive Byzantium!"
- "Even the word is magical..."
- "One of Greece's Premiere Byzantine Attractions"
- "Mistras, a byzantine ghost town"
- "Mystras, Greece"
- "Byzantine wonderland"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mistras
- 24 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Mistras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mistras
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Athens Intro, 228 reviews, 254 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monemvasia Intro, 58 reviews, 61 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 54 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oia Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mistras Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Spetses Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Achaia Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spetses Island Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos