"TEMPLE OF ABU SIMBEL" Temple of Abu Simbel by dedeckerm.
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide: 266 reviews and 918 photos
Aboe Simbel. One of the greatest sensations is `Aboe Simbel`.
The great temple of Abu Simbel is dedicated to the glory of pharao Ramses II.
When you are standing before the four colossal statues it is really unbelievable that they were made thousands years ago. The statues or 20 m high and they are looking to the rising sun. Aboe Simbel is about 1000 km away from Caïro, capital of Egypt.
Not only are the two temples at Abu Simbel among the most magnificent monuments in the world but their removal and reconstruction was an historic event in itself. When the temples (280 km from Aswan) were threatened by submersion in Lake Nasser, due to the construction of the High Dam, the Egyptian Government secured the support of UNESCO and launched a world wide appeal. During the salvage operation which began in 1964 and continued until 1968, the two temples were dismantled and raised over 60 meters up the sandstone cliff where they had been built more than 3,000 years before.
Here they were reassembled, in the exact same relationship to each other and the sun, and covered with an artificial mountain. Most of the joins in the stone have now been filled by antiquity experts, but inside the temples it is still possible to see where the blocks were cut. You can also go inside the man made dome and see an exhibition of photographs showing the different stages of the massive removal project.
dedeckerm.'s Related Pages
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Went back to Egypt in May 2005"
- "Abu Simbel Temples"
- "Thank you all, who shared in saving our heritage"
- "Temple of Abu Simbel"
- "The Amazing Temples of Abu Simbel"
- "Abu Simbel--Warning Sign to the Nubian South"
- "Abu Simbel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Hotels in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Transportation in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Nightlife in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Restaurants in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Shopping in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Warnings and Dangers in Temple of Abu Simbel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Temple of Abu Simbel
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Temple of Abu Simbel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Temple of Abu Simbel
Photos in Temple of Abu SimbelSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 23 reviews, 123 photos, 11 travelogues
- The Gambia Intro, 27 reviews, 102 photos, 13 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 25 reviews, 95 photos, 9 travelogues
- Kerkyra Intro, 18 reviews, 89 photos, 11 travelogues
- Tunisia Intro, 20 reviews, 85 photos, 9 travelogues
- Cyprus Intro, 16 reviews, 70 photos, 11 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 13 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 15 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 18 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues