"LizSitka's new Yakutat Page" Yakutat by LizSitka

Yakutat Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 17 photos

After 20 years in Alaska I finally visited Yakutat. Most of Southeast is grey and drizzly much of the time but I happened to pick two sunny days and I'm awed by the scenery. Not much economy there aside from fish. There are two processing plants and a bunch of charter boats but this is not a place hit by tourists very hard. The view across the channel is an incredible mountain range (the St. Elias range, I think, but I'll check) and the Hubbard Glacier is about 30 miles away - largest tidewater glacier in North America. I'm still confused on whether I was looking at Mount Fairweather or Mt. St. Elias (18,800' - second tallest peak in North America) so I guess I'll just have to go back some day.

I stayed at the Mooring Lodge for $125/night for a complete apartment that could have slept six people comfortably. The hosts, Tracy and Leo, are really great folks. If you're nice to him I bet Leo will fix up a plate of his homemade sockeye lox for you. YUM.

Get to Yakutat on Alaska Air 737- two flights daily, one northbound from Juneau/Seattle and one southbound from Anchorage/Cordova. The ferry goes there, too, but I don't know the schedule. Look up Alaska Marine Highway (State Dept of Transportation) for more info.

I guess some of the other lodges serve food but with a full kitchen, Mallott's General Store was fine for me. I don't think there are any official restaurants there. One bar along the main road. One policeman - say hi to him if you go. His name is Jay.

• Last visit to Yakutat: Jul 2001
  • Intro Written Jul 22, 2001

Comments

LizSitka

“Travel makes us appreciate each other.”

Badges & Stats in Yakutat

Have you been to Yakutat?

Latest Activity in Yakutat