"LizSitka's new Unalaska Page" Unalaska by LizSitka

Unalaska Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 45 photos

I just moved here 10/01. The first two days, at least, have been sunny and beautiful. During my visits over the years I'd never seen the sun - only clouds and rain and lots of wind (it's said that this is where the winds are born...). The place is steeped in history - the Aleuts have lived here over the centuries, the Russians came for the trapping, the Japanese actually bombed it (well, Dutch Harbor is the name of the port across the bridge) in WWII.

The wind definitely blows. There are very few trees, and those are very, very short. The fireweed is about 8 inches high here - it's 2-3 feet elsewhere in the state. It's beautiful, though, with a small population of very friendly seeing people.

I'm staying with a friend until I settle, so I'm no help on places to stay. I don't think you HAVE to stay at the Grand Aleutian, which is the nicest hotel and pretty spendy, but I don't know about other places.

While some of the pictures on this page are unabashadly stolen from other people, this first one I took while walking up Bunker Hill on Little South American to watch the fireworks on July 4th, 2002. Not a bad backyard, eh? When you visit I'll be happy to show you where this is.

• Intro Written Jul 18, 2002

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2004 at 6:46 PM

brrr, who wants to camp in the snow...... Wellington/NZ Capital, always tells people of a very exiting landing. lovely page, good tips and pics

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2004 at 7:51 PM

I was studying Unalaska on my gazetteer this very evening. Glorious page. Wish you would use captions to identify scenes. Beginning to think bunkers outnumber bears in Alaska.

LizSitka

“Travel makes us appreciate each other.”

Badges & Stats in Unalaska

Have you been to Unalaska?

Photos in Unalaska