"LizSitka's new Unalaska Page" Unalaska by LizSitka
Unalaska Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 45 photos
I just moved here 10/01. The first two days, at least, have been sunny and beautiful. During my visits over the years I'd never seen the sun - only clouds and rain and lots of wind (it's said that this is where the winds are born...). The place is steeped in history - the Aleuts have lived here over the centuries, the Russians came for the trapping, the Japanese actually bombed it (well, Dutch Harbor is the name of the port across the bridge) in WWII.
The wind definitely blows. There are very few trees, and those are very, very short. The fireweed is about 8 inches high here - it's 2-3 feet elsewhere in the state. It's beautiful, though, with a small population of very friendly seeing people.
I'm staying with a friend until I settle, so I'm no help on places to stay. I don't think you HAVE to stay at the Grand Aleutian, which is the nicest hotel and pretty spendy, but I don't know about other places.
While some of the pictures on this page are unabashadly stolen from other people, this first one I took while walking up Bunker Hill on Little South American to watch the fireworks on July 4th, 2002. Not a bad backyard, eh? When you visit I'll be happy to show you where this is.
There's quite a bit of history evident around here. The onangon people, throughout history, the Russians in the last two... more travel advice
Be aware that the Oonalashka Corporation owns all the land surrounding the city and requires permits for hiking - I... more travel advice
LizSitka's Related Pages
Unalaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Unalaska Alaska -- not an oxymoron"
- "LizSitka's new Unalaska Page"
- "There's more to it than you'd think"
- "Our home for 18 years"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Unalaska
- Hotels in Unalaska
- Transportation in Unalaska
- Nightlife in Unalaska
- Restaurants in Unalaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Unalaska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Unalaska
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Unalaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Unalaska
Photos in UnalaskaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Akutan Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Atka Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Unalaska Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Togiak Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anchorage Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dillingham Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fort Clinch State Park Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 5 reviews, 1 photo
- Vancouver Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Chignik Intro, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.