Singapore Local Custom Tips by Skylink Top 5 Page for this destination
Singapore Local Customs: 114 reviews and 183 photos
Every country has people who display rude or anti-social behavior. There's some of that in Singapore. However, I think there not too much of it there.
One of the reasons I like Singapore is because of the friendly people. They are generally warm. They are not out to cheat you. If they step on your foot, they may say "sorry" and not just look the other way like they do in some countries that I've been to. Besides being polite, many Singaporeans are also very friendly. Of course, there are some who can be demanding. That probably happens more often to people whose jobs involve working with the public. I've heard stories from Singaporeans about that.
Consider eating with a fork in one hand and spoon in the other. Use the spoon to cut food. Use the fork to push food on to the spoon to eat. I think this way of eating originated in Malaysia but many Singaporean Chinese eat this way now.
If you are eating noodles, chopsticks are more commonly used.
That's why I call Singapore the happiest place on earth. Disneyland may be happier, but it's make believe. The friendly people of Singapore, who are not only friendly, but willing to help, is what people should remember Singapore for, not jokes about gum, caning, etc.
There is a government sponsored organization called the SDU, which I think stands for Social Development Unit and not Single, Desparate, and Ugly. There is a similar organization in Singapore called the SDS, I think.
I think it's a dating service, but I am not certain. There is no government sponsored organization like it that I am aware of in North America.
Is it a local Singaporean custom not to mention the SDU and keep it a secret among locals? I wonder if the SDU is a good idea or a waste of public money (sometimes called "pork barrelled project" in the United States).
More Reviews (87)
- See All Labrador Secret Tunnels
- See All very practical, not fancy, shopping...
- See All Exchange rates
- See All Need to explore
- See All Hotel Phoenix/Specialists' Shopping...
- See All Here's how Singapore's passport stamp...
- See All SBS buses with the Silk Air livery are...
- See All Singapore Army Museum is coming!
- See All Singapore Idol 2006 recently finished
- See All Sentosa Island not recommended by some
Skylink's Related Pages
Singapore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Uniquely Singapore"
- "Singapore Downtown"
- "(the real) Happiest Place on Earth"
- "Home away from Home"
- "ONE ISLAND WITH 63 SURROUNDING ISLETS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Singapore
- Hotels in Singapore
- Transportation in Singapore
- Nightlife in Singapore
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Shopping in Singapore
- Warnings and Dangers in Singapore
- See All...
Explore the World
- Longsheng Hotels
- Hampton Park Hotels
- Sakon Nakhon
- Waipio Hotels
- Ipswich Hotels
Badges & Stats in Singapore
- 91 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Singapore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Singapore
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 91 reviews, 71 photos
- Kadoka Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos
- Sydney Intro, 40 reviews, 22 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 34 reviews, 6 photos
- Seattle Intro, 12 reviews, 8 photos
- Melilla Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- United States of America Intro, 15 reviews, 1 photo
- Nome Intro, 8 reviews, 5 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 8 reviews, 2 photos
- Lille Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Singapore hotel reviews
- Beach Hotel
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 17, 2013
- Citadines Singapore Mount Sophia
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 28, 2013
- Goldkist Beach Resort
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Fragrance Hotel - Imperial
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Bugis Backpackers Hostel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2012
- Orchard Parade - A Far East Hotel Singapore
- 454 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Gallery Hotel The
- 242 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Fragrance Hotel-Selegie
- 185 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Fragrance Hotel Sapphire
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel81 - Opera
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Rendezvous Hotel Singapore A Clarion Collection
- 450 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Fragrance Hotel - Sunflower
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2013
- Cairnhill Tower
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 27, 2011
- Fragrance Hotel-Waterfront
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 9, 2013
- Furama City Centre Singapore
- 378 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Sentosa Island- 58 Reviews, 147 Photos
- Singapore Zoological Gardens & Night Safari- 107 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Orchard Road- 40 Reviews, 80 Photos
- Little India- 53 Reviews, 107 Photos
- Clarke Quay- 34 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Universal Studios- 19 Reviews, 83 Photos
- Jurong Bird Park- 46 Reviews, 94 Photos
- Esplanade - Theatres by the Bay- 42 Reviews, 79 Photos
- Arab Street- 15 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Raffles Hotel- 32 Reviews, 68 Photos
See All Singapore Things to Do