"Rugged beauty in the midnight sun" Top 5 Page for this destination Spitsbergen by VianneR

Spitsbergen Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 220 photos

Sea, land and sky

Somehow I decided a long time ago that I wanted to see Spitsbergen. I am not quite sure whether it was because of the stories of the north pole explorations or the pictures of a barren, harsh country. Maybe it was the wildlife that attracted me and the history of whaling. What is sure is that the beauty of this place now has cast its spell on me forever.

and ice

We were not able to circumnavigate the island but got within 2 min. of the 80th parallel.

in the midnight sun

To understand the phenomenon is one thing. To never see the sun get even close to the horizon is surreal!
The above picture was taken at3:30AM.This one a little earlier.

• Last visit to Spitsbergen: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2003

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2004 at 5:31 AM

Francine - your page was perfect for me to look at, because we just booked a cruise on the Captain Molchanov for next June!! Can't wait to go there!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2004 at 7:21 PM

Francine these ar fantastic travelogue pictures this brings back so many memories of the time I was in the merchant marines 1963 and we went to Iceland and I saw Fjords and Icebergs ,an awsome page Francine.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 3:00 PM

What an excellent page and great travelogues, bringing back great memories ! ...Spitzbergen is such a great and interesting place to go !

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2004 at 10:59 AM

A great page! Very nice photos of your experiences at this very remote location! I loved your Travelogues as well !

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2003 at 3:40 AM

Beautiful page. I like your photos and travelogues

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2003 at 5:01 AM

Aw shucks!! A Swing Dancing photo for me?? Your Oslo visit looks great! and the trip North gives me the chill I need this summer. Very nice!!

VianneR

“Je ne cherche pas, je trouve. Picasso”

Badges & Stats in Spitsbergen

Have you been to Spitsbergen?

Latest Activity in Spitsbergen