"Carlisle - My home town" Carlisle by calcaf38

Carlisle Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 59 photos

I am not the only VT member who thinks that it is harder to build a page about one's home town than about a one-night-stand town. Especially if the hometown is small and quite unremarkable.

What can I possibly say? Carlisle is a small town in South Central Pennsylvania.

Carlisle is a transportation hub (where two busy freeways intersect) and an education center (home to three colleges).

Summers are hot, Winters are long and dreary, Spring is blink-and-you'll-miss-it short, and the Fall can be heavenly.

Within 30 minutes of my home, there are many beautiful hikes and interesting bouldering opportunities. To me, this is the most appealing feature of living here. Culturally, especially multi-culturally, Carlisle is still mostly white bread territory. There has been some progress in this respect in the last 20 years. Sometimes I think I started it, as I felt like the only "foreigner" in town when I arrived here.

Of course, while in Carlisle, I dream of Vigan, Sonargaon and Maripasoula. But honestly, Carlisle is an attractive town: if I had spent thousands of dollars and thirty hours to reach it, I might think I have hit the jackpot.

More info about the region:

World class hikes, right in my own backyard

Just as Carlisle is criss-crossed by important highways, it is also near the Appalachian Trail. My favorite hike, Sunset Rocks Trail, is actually a loop off the Appalachian Trail. In the event that you are interested in light-duty bouldering and beautiful scenery, consult the Sports Travel section below: I have left a detailed guide to this great half-day destination.

• Pros:Kind people, Foliage, Proximity to nature and large cities
  • Cons:Heavy traffic, Poor parking, Distant noise, Some pollution
  • In a nutshell:Certainly as good a place as any
  • Intro Updated May 2, 2009

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2010 at 10:20 AM

And one more Lourdes Grotto on my South Bend (Notre Dame) page!

• Oct 6, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Coming to Carlisle in two weeks. Wish I had time to hike those trails!!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 1:41 AM

I grew up in PA - lived in a few major cities - I know my PA friends to be among the most stunch, sturdy, loyal people. Thanks for the tour and some lovely photos.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2009 at 2:49 PM

A very different Carlisle than the one I know but interesting never the less!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Your updated Michaux Forest tip reminds me of an old Tom Lehrer song: "The law was very firm it/took away my permit/the worst punishment I ever endured./It turned out there was a reason/cows were out of season/and one of the hunters/wasn't insured."

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2009 at 6:31 AM

Hi, I always find it takes me more time to write tips on a place I have visited than the trip itself. Alan

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2008 at 4:53 AM

Interesting to have a rummage around your home town Oliver :o) I love to see the little places hilighted here on vt! ....and enjoyed learing all about your hiking tips....as well as the play you produced for the oldies where you work :o) Love it! Ann xx

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I thought I had visited all yr pages!esp yr home town!nice page here&interesting architecture!Who is Molly Pitcher?Have added text to my Tallinn, Estonia tips if youd like a nice look at the Baltics!Off to Israel and Jordan next mth-exciting!

• Kisses&Co's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2008 at 9:09 PM

You are so lucky living near the Chocolate factory! ;o) But where's your pages of the Chocolate World! :-P

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2008 at 8:36 AM

A nice job on your hometown. Looks like a good base to make those long forays out from. Sunset Rocks make a nice place to practise el espanol, tambien.

calcaf38 Lives Here!

calcaf38

“Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin”

Badges & Stats in Carlisle

Have you been to Carlisle?

Latest Activity in Carlisle