"Carlisle - My home town" Carlisle by calcaf38
Carlisle Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 59 photos
I am not the only VT member who thinks that it is harder to build a page about one's home town than about a one-night-stand town. Especially if the hometown is small and quite unremarkable.
What can I possibly say? Carlisle is a small town in South Central Pennsylvania.
Carlisle is a transportation hub (where two busy freeways intersect) and an education center (home to three colleges).
Summers are hot, Winters are long and dreary, Spring is blink-and-you'll-miss-it short, and the Fall can be heavenly.
Within 30 minutes of my home, there are many beautiful hikes and interesting bouldering opportunities. To me, this is the most appealing feature of living here. Culturally, especially multi-culturally, Carlisle is still mostly white bread territory. There has been some progress in this respect in the last 20 years. Sometimes I think I started it, as I felt like the only "foreigner" in town when I arrived here.
Of course, while in Carlisle, I dream of Vigan, Sonargaon and Maripasoula. But honestly, Carlisle is an attractive town: if I had spent thousands of dollars and thirty hours to reach it, I might think I have hit the jackpot.
More info about the region:
Just as Carlisle is criss-crossed by important highways, it is also near the Appalachian Trail. My favorite hike, Sunset Rocks Trail, is actually a loop off the Appalachian Trail. In the event that you are interested in light-duty bouldering and beautiful scenery, consult the Sports Travel section below: I have left a detailed guide to this great half-day destination.
- Pros:Kind people, Foliage, Proximity to nature and large cities
- Cons:Heavy traffic, Poor parking, Distant noise, Some pollution
- In a nutshell:Certainly as good a place as any
The final segment of the Sunset Rocks + Appalachian Trail loop takes 25 minutes, eastwards all the way. You will pass... more travel advice
This part starts with an ugly deforested area, then it becomes very pleasant and peaceful. There are no rocks involved.... more travel advice
- See All Tragic Murders in Heavenly Setting
- Murder Mystery at the Retirement...
- See All Secret P.O.W. Camp Crumbling in the...
calcaf38's Related Pages
Carlisle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carlisle - My home town"
- "Restful Christmas Night"
- "Carlisle PA in the Cumberland Valley"
- "Basaic Carlisle Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carlisle
- Hotels in Carlisle
- Nightlife in Carlisle
- Restaurants in Carlisle
- Shopping in Carlisle
- Warnings and Dangers in Carlisle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carlisle
- 18 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Carlisle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carlisle
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos