"Battleship New Jersey - Camden, New Jersey" Top 5 Page for this destination Camden by calcaf38
Camden Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 80 photos
Camden is a city just across the Delaware river from Philadelphia. Camden is somewhat rundown and depressed, not unlike Harrisburg today and Baltimore 20 years ago.
Efforts at revitalization include the redevelopment of the riverfront: there is an aquarium, a concert venue (the Tweeter Center), and the surreal presence of a huge historical battleship moored in the city.
The USS New Jersey had a long career before turning into a tourist attraction. It saw action in the Pacific during WWII, then during the Korea and Vietnam conflicts.
Mothballed between 1969 and 1980, the battleship was subsequently updated to carry missiles and sent to Lebanon and to the Gulf War, before being finally decommissioned in 1991.
Visiting the Battleship New Jersey is most impressive. Although the ship is huge, the men worked and lived in cramped stations: again and again you must watch your step and watch your head. For me this was the revelation of the visit, the contrast between the awesome might symbolized and delivered by the battleship, and the human, almost subhuman size of all the fittings aboard. Working in such surroundings under pressure must have entailed extraordinary organization.
Visiting the battleship during peace time is quite awkward. Although you are almost alone aboard, there are endless... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Camden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to the Camden Waterfront"
- "Battleship New Jersey - Camden, New Jersey"
- "asturnut's Camden, NJ Page"
- "Adventure aquarium"
- "Anders100's new Camden Page"
- "Welcome to my Camden page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Camden
- Hotels in Camden
- Transportation in Camden
- Restaurants in Camden
- Warnings and Dangers in Camden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Camden
- 3 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Camden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Camden
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos