"Ruins near Port Gibson: Windsor and Rodney" Port Gibson by calcaf38
Port Gibson Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 42 photos
Port Gibson was spared during the Civil War because Ulysses Grant declared the town "too beautiful to burn." Today, Port Gibson is a depressed looking small town, with a few blocks' worth of historical buildings, which in turn are threatened by the possible widening of Route 61 (Church Street).
My goal in the area was to visit two ruins: one being the famous Windsor Ruins, and the other being the forgotten river port of Rodney. I only spent a few moments in Port Gibson proper, on my way back to the Natchez Trace Parkway.
- Pros:Famous, yet completely off the beaten path
- Cons:Nowhere to sit down and have a cool drink or a decent sandwich
- In a nutshell:Ghosts of Mississippi, indeed
Rodney was originally a French settlement on the Mississippi, and progressed into a leading river town with 1,000... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Port Gibson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ruins near Port Gibson: Windsor and Rodney"
- "Port Gibson: Too Beautiful to Burn"
- "Keeweechic's Port Gibson"
- "Basaic Port Gibson Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Gibson
- Transportation in Port Gibson
- Restaurants in Port Gibson
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Gibson
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Port Gibson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Gibson
Photos in Port GibsonSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos