"Hamlet With Two Superlative Plantations" Vacherie by calcaf38
Vacherie Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 60 photos
Vacherie sounds just too funny to Francophones: in colloquial French, une vacherie is a dirty trick. Of course, long ago, vacheries were were vaches (cows) were raised.
Anyway, Vacherie is a tiny village with two superb plantations on the South bank of the Mississippi. In the glory days of Louisiana, the whole river was strung with plantations on both sides. Today, not many remain. Driving from New Orleans takes an hour on the interstate, and longer on a leisurely country drive.
The Oak Alley Plantation is magnificent. No matter how many photos you may have seen, the sight of that oak lined "driveway" will enchant you. Almost next door, the very different Laura Créole Plantation is also a captivating site. You can visit both comfortably in half a day.
- Pros:Splendor in the middle of nowhere
- Cons:The visits can feel a bit synthetic
- In a nutshell:Be sure to see both
I didn't have a plan for where to spend the night after visiting the two plantations. I just kept driving on Route 18.... more travel advice
I arrived at the Laura Plantation and was asked: "Do you want the tour in English in 45 minutes, or the tour in French... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Vacherie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hamlet With Two Superlative Plantations"
- "Oak Alley (and Laura)"
- "Laura Plantation"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vacherie
- Hotels in Vacherie
- Restaurants in Vacherie
- Shopping in Vacherie
- Warnings and Dangers in Vacherie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vacherie
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Vacherie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vacherie
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos