"For Swamp Connoisseurs" Marrero by calcaf38

Marrero Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos

Marrero is a nondescript suburb of New Orleans, with long boulevards lined with every franchise you could possibly dream of. It is also the location of the 20,000 acre Barataria Preserve, which is one of the sites of the Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve.

If you like cypress swamps, the Barataria Preserve is a place of pilgrimage. It is surprising how wild a place can be, so close to a major city.

The preserve has several magnificent trails, some of which are entirely constituted of boardwalks running above the moody ooze.

I didn't go on an organized Swamp Tour, as offered nearby and in other locations in Louisiana. I am sure they are great. But I was happier having this quiet swamp to myself.

• Pros:The incredible sights and noises of a true wild swamp
  • Cons:Hard to resist just walking off the boardwalks, into the muck
  • In a nutshell:Nature at its most suffocatingly beautiful
  • Last visit to Marrero: Jul 2010
  • Intro Updated Jul 23, 2010

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I've never though of myself as a "Swamp Connoisseur" but I can see that I would love to explore this place, so maybe I am!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Wow Oliver, those look like amazing walks, especially the Palmetto Trail! It must have been fun in the sun keeping your eyes peeled for all sorts of bushes, bugs, birds and beasts as the sweat dripped off you!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Nice new tips! This looks like a place that is worth braving the heat and the bugs for.

calcaf38

“Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin”

Badges & Stats in Marrero

Have you been to Marrero?

Latest Activity in Marrero