"A Metallic Taste - Birmingham, Alabama" Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham by calcaf38
Birmingham Travel Guide: 155 reviews and 475 photos
Birmingham is a young city, born after the Civil War in a perfect spot if you needed iron ore, coal, and water in copious supply. A tradition of metalworks existed in the region already, as you will see in one of my tips.
Having no experience of slavery didn't mean that Birmingham wasn't racially divided. Au contraire, the prosperous city was a bastion of racial laws, some written and some mere examples of the worst tradition.
I visited Birmingham to research the Civil Right struggle, and to find out more about the infancy, maturity, and dotage of the American iron and steel industry.
- Pros:Good museum resources. The sound of train whistles at all hours.
- Cons:Not an attractive city in the traditional sense
- In a nutshell:A crucible, literally and figuratively
This is an attractive, well designed museum on the Tannehill grounds. If you are interested in heavy industry and large... more travel advice
The Sloss Furnaces is a large iron foundry complex which operated from 1882 to 1971. Saved from demolition by... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Birmingham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "birmingham alabama"
- "A look in the mirror of the past - 1969"
- "A Drive Through Birmingham, Alabama"
- "A Metallic Taste - Birmingham, Alabama"
- "Sweet Home Alabama"
- "Southern Steel Mill Town"
- "Birmingham, Alabama"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Birmingham
- Hotels in Birmingham
- Transportation in Birmingham
- Nightlife in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Shopping in Birmingham
- Warnings and Dangers in Birmingham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Birmingham
- 6 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Birmingham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Birmingham
- updated a Birmingham Travel Page "A Metallic Taste - Birmingham, Alabama"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Metallic Taste - Birmingham, Alabama"
- Uploaded a Video to Birmingham
- Wrote a Review Iron & Steel Museum of Alabama in Birmingham Things to Do
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Are you a tricky planner?"
Videos in BirminghamSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos