"Honduras - The essence of Central America" Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras by calcaf38
Honduras Travel Guide: 1,511 reviews and 4,263 photos
Honduras is a small country the size of Pennsylvania, nestled between Guatemala and El Salvador to the West, and Nicaragua to the East. It is a mostly mountainous country, with a long Atlantic coast and a short Pacific coast. Honduras is a poor but not destitute country, once almost synonymous with the culture of bananas, and more recently a major coffee exporter and center of clothes manufacturing.
Ideally, Honduras should be savored in a leisurely fashion. Inexpensive, safe, and friendly, it would make an ideal backpacker destination over weeks, maybe months. Unfortunately, I had only one week to spend there, but I made the most of it. If you look at a map of Honduras, you will see that I only visited the North and West part of the country. I will need to return some day for the magnificent cathedral in Coyamagua, the historical mining towns near the capital, and the notorious Moskitia (Mosquito Coast).
Until very recently, Honduras didn't have much of an image: Guatemala would have been your first choice for Mayan ruins, Costa Rica for nature, and Colombia for coffee... But after visiting there, I can tell you that what Honduras lacks in its international P.R. budget, it makes up in beauty, heart, and wits. It is by far the least touristickated country I have ever visited, yet I found countless treasures there, some in unexpected places.
On a mundane VT level, I couldn't decide whether to build a jumbo Honduras page, or individual pages for each stop I made. In the end I elected to build this introductory page as an overview, and also some individual pages where I will go deeper in detail.
These are the stops I made, with dedicated pages:
Gracias Lempira and Celaque National Park
Tela, Punta Izopo, and Triunfo de la Cruz
Santa Rosa de Copán
If you wish to explore authentic Mesoamerican culture, I recommend Honduras as an ideal destination. I'm so happy I went there: I left a bit of my heart somewhere in the mangrove, or in the cloud forest, or possibly on one of those dilapidated buses...
- Pros:Beautiful smiling people, stunning nature, immense historical interest
- Cons:Unvaried food, political volatility due to loaded past
- In a nutshell:Go NOW, before everyone finds out!
La Ruta Lenca is a whole region in Western Honduras, where you can find tiny colonial villages scattered among... more travel advice
The Celaque National Park is a large natural reserve which contains Honduras' highest peak, Celaque Mountain at 2827m.... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Honduras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Worthy of Many Returns!"
- "Honduras - The essence of Central America"
- "LATINO82's An Earthly Paradise HONDURAS"
- "Map of Honduras"
- "Central American Nation with Plenty to Offer"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Honduras
- Hotels in Honduras
- Transportation in Honduras
- Nightlife in Honduras
- Restaurants in Honduras
- Shopping in Honduras
- Warnings and Dangers in Honduras
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Honduras
- 68 Reviews
- 256 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Honduras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Honduras
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos