"Guatemala 2006" Guatemala by calcaf38
Guatemala Travel Guide: 2,965 reviews and 8,468 photos
I visited Guatemala in late 2006.
You will find my tips on the following dedicated pages:
Tikal, an archeological site to rival any in the world
El Remate, a sleepy village on the way to Tikal
Sayaxché, a honkytonk town near several other magnificent ruins
Coban, a coffee growing center
and Antigua, a town like a painting come to life
I did use a preventive regimen of Pepto-Bismol caplets, two caplets three times a day, and I had no problem with the food or the water.
There is much litter and much rubbish strewn around all over Guatemala. It is regrettable of course, but it is a proportionately small problem. Sure it's distressing to see empty potato chips bags and plastic bottles everywhere, but the pollution footprint of the average Guatemala citizen must be a fraction of ours - notwithstanding our pristine sidewalks.
When you take the driver's exam in the U.S., you are almost guaranteed the following question: "When can you pass a schoolbus with the lights flashing?" The correct answer is: "On a divided highway, going in the opposite direction." But there is another correct answer: in Guatemala. One of the many delights of this colorful country is the sight of venerable American schoolbuses bedezined in fantastic colors. And when you pass one with the lights flashing (probably worth a jail sentence at home), it's just one more thrill!
One of the most attractive features of Guatemala is the way most storefronts are painted. In towns like Santa Elena, next to Flores, all the shops are freshly painted with great cartoons of medecines, batteries, or whatever is for sale. It is festive, and helpful for locals who can't read (I saw hotel maids clock in and out with fingerprints) and visitors who can't speak Spanish.
- Pros:Colors, ruins, people, crafts, transportation, joie de vivre, good hair
- Cons:Poor children, garbage, bland food, unattractive capital
- In a nutshell:A country of energy and hope
calcaf38's Related Pages
Guatemala Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GUATEMALA - CRIME SECURITY TRANSPORTATION"
- "Guatemala- Land of Volcanoes & Mayan Temples"
- "A perfect holiday destination?"
- "The Whimsical and Art Deco"
- "Guatemala City, not that ugly!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guatemala
- Hotels in Guatemala
- Transportation in Guatemala
- Nightlife in Guatemala
- Restaurants in Guatemala
- Shopping in Guatemala
- Warnings and Dangers in Guatemala
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Guatemala
- 76 Reviews
- 255 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Guatemala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guatemala
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos
Top Guatemala hotels
- Antigua Guatemala Hotels
- 646 Reviews - 1874 Photos
- Guatemala City Hotels
- 174 Reviews - 403 Photos
- Iximché Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Lago de Amatitlán Hotels
- 1 Review - 5 Photos
- San Lucas Sacatepéquez Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Santiago Sacatepéquez Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 22 Photos
- San Miguel Dueñas Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Patzicía Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- La Mesilla Hotels
- 1 Review
- Flores Hotels
- 72 Reviews - 201 Photos
- Lago de Atitlán Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 409 Photos
- Zunil Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 6 Photos
- Parque Nacional Tikal Hotels
- 314 Reviews - 1008 Photos
- Tikal Hotels
- 1 Review - 4 Photos
- Tecpán Guatemala Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 9 Photos