"Peru, my first taste of the Andes and the jungle" Top 5 Page for this destination Peru by calcaf38
Peru Travel Guide: 7,705 reviews and 20,449 photos
What amazed me about Peru is that in the space of nine days, I got to visit two thouroughly different regions.
Cuzco and Machu Picchu were breathtaking (literally, with the elevation). Cuzco is truly a wonderful town, and the descendants of the Incas always have a smile on their chiselled faces.
And the Amazon is strikingly peaceful, with Iquitos a haunting base for river expeditions.
A fun book to discover Peru by: The Adventures of a Tropical Tramp, by Harry L. Foster. The lost generation didn't get any more lost than in the person of Harry L. Foster. You will greatly enjoy his adventures in 1920s Peru, and you'll find that some things have not changed a bit through the years.
Postface: This page, very slightly revised, is the first page I built after joining VT. Today, I would probably not write a page about the whole country, preferring instead to delve deeper into each stop along the way. Recently for instance, I built pages about individual destinations in Ecuador which are larger than my whole Peru page. This doesn't mean that Peru was a minor adventure. But in 2003, I didn't yet feel that I was on special assignment for VT every time I ventured away from home. Not coincidentally, my wonderful Peru trip was also my last voyage organisé. Not with a group, but with an agency, airport transfers and other trappings that I do not use anymore. Traveling has changed me, but even more, VT has changed the way I travel and process my travels.
- Pros:Ruins, People, Mountains, Rivers, Hospitality
- Cons:So-so food, Unpredictable domestic air and rail
- In a nutshell:Two adventures for the price of one
Gustave Eiffel (yes, of the Tower, and of the Elevador Santa Justa in Lisbon fame) designed a prefab iron house for the... more travel advice
A popular after-dinner activity in jungle lodges is caiman spotting. The caiman themselves are not all that impressive... more travel advice
- See All Between Cuzco and Ollataytambo
- Inca Kola, La Bebida Del Peru
- Pisac, a shopper's destination too
- Fishing for Piranhas
calcaf38's Related Pages
Peru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One Gringa's Peru"
- "The heart of America"
- "Roads less traveled in Peru"
- "Proud to be peruvian!"
- "Peru, my first taste of the Andes and the jungle"
- "Paul2001's Travels Through Peru"
- "And, now, ladies and gentlemen : mas abajo !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peru
- Hotels in Peru
- Transportation in Peru
- Nightlife in Peru
- Restaurants in Peru
- Shopping in Peru
- Warnings and Dangers in Peru
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peru
- 31 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Peru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peru
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos