VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Lao People Democratic Republic" Top 5 Page for this destination Laos by calcaf38

Laos Travel Guide: 3,797 reviews and 9,674 photos

I visited Laos after 15 years spent without traveling (except to France to visit family, which is homework, not tourism).

Laos is magical, a profoundly spiritual place, awfully poor in material goods but rich in every other way.

Imagine a quiet twilight, barely disturbed by chimes and whiffs of charcoal smoke. Huge Buddha statues glow by candle light. The slow boats glide by on the Mekong...

Even after 6 years, I can still feel the magic of Laos.

I entered Laos from Thailand, at the honkytonk Chiang Khong / Huai Xai crossing. Then I took a speedboat down to Luang Prabang, where I spent enchanted days. Then one fun night in Van Vieng, a couple of days in sleepy - moldy Vientiane, and I was back home. But part of my heart is still there in Luang Prabang, among the gentle bells and the aromatic smoke. Almost every day, I think of going back. Do you think they take in middle aged Jews in Buddhist temples?

• Pros:Culture, Architecture, History, Hospitality, the Mekong river
  • Cons:Inaccessibility, Oppressive and secretive government
  • In a nutshell:Almost heaven
  • Last visit to Laos: Apr 2000
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I still really like your tips from your visit to Laos eleven years ago. In the meantime the country has probably changed a lot. I wonder if the hotels and restaurants still look like something from Sparks, Nevada, after a nuclear test.

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 3:31 AM

Nice page about Laos. Hope to find still some "magic" when I will visit it, some day. Thanks for sharing

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 3:56 AM

it seems as if you quite liked this country

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM

I love your photos here - beautiful scenery, great to see the interesting architecture & local life. I knew someone in Queensland, Australia who used to talk about some of his youth there when his Dad worked in Laos b4 it was closed some yrs back.

• Mar 21, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Fantastoc country in south east Asia. I hope that i been here soon!!

• Mar 15, 2008 at 9:44 PM

I was in Laos in September and loved it. Browsing through your page was like being there again. Happy Birthday from Finland!

• saracen's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Hi - I have to agree 1000% with you, LPB is almost paradise. I have such great memories of my all too short time in Laos, a country I am sure could rightly claim to be the friendliest in the world.

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2007 at 7:24 AM

Very interesting! Well written and great practical tips, thanx

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 7:00 AM

Your posts are delightfully well-written. Luang Prabang sounds magical, indeed. Thanks for sharing.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Thanks again for checking out my Burma therapy - yes, its a different proposition to Laos - but well worth it. Research and planning essential.

calcaf38

“Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin”

Badges & Stats in Laos