"Lao People Democratic Republic" Top 5 Page for this destination Laos by calcaf38
Laos Travel Guide: 3,757 reviews and 9,399 photos
I visited Laos after 15 years spent without traveling (except to France to visit family, which is homework, not tourism).
Laos is magical, a profoundly spiritual place, awfully poor in material goods but rich in every other way.
Imagine a quiet twilight, barely disturbed by chimes and whiffs of charcoal smoke. Huge Buddha statues glow by candle light. The slow boats glide by on the Mekong...
Even after 6 years, I can still feel the magic of Laos.
I entered Laos from Thailand, at the honkytonk Chiang Khong / Huai Xai crossing. Then I took a speedboat down to Luang Prabang, where I spent enchanted days. Then one fun night in Van Vieng, a couple of days in sleepy - moldy Vientiane, and I was back home. But part of my heart is still there in Luang Prabang, among the gentle bells and the aromatic smoke. Almost every day, I think of going back. Do you think they take in middle aged Jews in Buddhist temples?
- Pros:Culture, Architecture, History, Hospitality, the Mekong river
- Cons:Inaccessibility, Oppressive and secretive government
- In a nutshell:Almost heaven
You won't buy much at the markets of Luang Prabang or Vientiane, yet what a profusion of odd items, strong smells, and... more travel advice
Vientiane doesn't feel like a capital at all. If you like to travel in time as much as in distance, Vientiane is for... more travel advice
- See All Your personalized soundtrack
- See All The fanciest Hotel in Luang Prabang
- See All Shades of Old Lan Xang
- See All The Friendship Bridge back to Thailand
calcaf38's Related Pages
Laos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One Can Never Get Enough of Laos"
- "Tread Softly: Laos"
- "A rather virgin country"
- "Lao People Democratic Republic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laos
- Hotels in Laos
- Transportation in Laos
- Nightlife in Laos
- Restaurants in Laos
- Shopping in Laos
- Warnings and Dangers in Laos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Laos
- 27 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Laos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laos
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos