"An Unknown Treasure - The Natchez Trace Parkway" Top 5 Page for this destination Mississippi by calcaf38
Mississippi Travel Guide: 1,577 reviews and 3,623 photos
I shouldn't say unknown, exactly, but the Natchez Trace Parkway doesn't have the reclame of, say, Mount Rushmore. I confess I had never heard of it.
The Natchez Trace was a footpath created by Chickasaw, Choctaw and Natchez Indians, and adopted by French settlers in the 1730s. By the 1810s, it was a major road, with many inns along the way, but also notorious for its murderous thieves. Improved river navigation in the 1820s meant the end of the Natchez Trace as a business artery, and it reverted to a country lane.
In the 1930s, a peaceful two-lane road was built next (and sometimes above) the old trace. Today, this amazing road, with interesting stops every few miles, runs from Natchez to Nashville. I drove the Natchez Trace Parkway from Natchez to Tupelo (half of the total length), with a short interruption around Port Gibson.
Driving up or down the Trace is quite an experience. There is hardly any traffic. The speed limit is 50 miles an hour. After a while, you can feel isolated, especially around dusk. You can't help thinking of the travelers who trod the path by foot, at the mercy of wild animals and those bloodthirsty thieves.
- Pros:A major attraction with no crowds and no cost
- Cons:Can be almost eerie
- In a nutshell:An authentic American experience
This is not officially related to the Parkway, but it made a fitting exit for me in Tupelo. This is another of those... more travel advice
Mississippi is not a land of expansive vistas, so this is special. A pleasant hike brings you to the highest point on... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Mississippi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Mississipi Page"
- "An Unknown Treasure - The Natchez Trace Parkway"
- "Mississippi, antebellum houses and more."
- "Natchez Trace Parkway"
- "Ole' Mississippi"
- "Keeweechic's Mississippi"
- "Mississippi Back Roads and Byways"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mississippi
- Hotels in Mississippi
- Transportation in Mississippi
- Nightlife in Mississippi
- Restaurants in Mississippi
- Shopping in Mississippi
- Warnings and Dangers in Mississippi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mississippi
- 14 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Mississippi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mississippi
Videos in MississippiSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos