"Torcello - A Breath of Fresh Air" Top 5 Page for this destination Torcello by calcaf38
Torcello Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 107 photos
With a current permanent population of 20, Torcello was the first Laguna Island to be settled by the Veneti. Old Torcello was an important trading post and salt producing center: by the year 900, it had a population of 10,000. Subsequently, Torcello turned intolerably swampy, and malaria compelled the inhabitants to re-settle in Burano, Murano, and Venice. Many buildings of old Torcello (such as its twelve parishes and sixteen cloisters) were disassembled and reconstructed elsewhere. This explains the almost bare island you see today. All the same, Torcello is a pleasant little side-note, a refreshing stop on a Laguna excursion, with noteworthy mosaic in the cathedral.
- Pros:Historically significant and pleasantly green
- Cons:Not all that much to see
- In a nutshell:The ancestor of Venice
This rock seat in the main piazza is called "Attila's Throne," although it has no connection with the king of the Huns,... more travel advice
The walk from the boat to the Cathedral takes 10 to 15 leisurely minutes. This is a fine short walk, especially... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Torcello Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Torcello Trip"
- "Only 50 people"
- "Torcello -"
- "Torcello - A Breath of Fresh Air"
- "~Tranquil Torcello~"
- "Torcello from Burano waterfront"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Torcello
- Hotels in Torcello
- Transportation in Torcello
- Restaurants in Torcello
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Torcello
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Torcello?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Torcello
Photos in TorcelloSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos