"Provence 2008 - Off Season" Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur by calcaf38

Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Travel Guide: 6,780 reviews and 17,427 photos

My mother moved to Aix en Provence after I left home, back in 1980. I never lived in Provence, but I have visited regularly over the years.

Although I am not a tourist when I visit Provence, I took some photos in the fall of 2008 to build this page, which in no way claims to be complete or even comprehensive. These are just a few scattered impressions.

What makes Provence so special is the uninterrupted chain of high civilization from the Greco-Roman era to our times. Be it in the fields of technology, arts, or just refined living, Provence is always at or near the top.

I was with my teenage son on this trip, and he must have come home thinking "Provence is chilly and gray, but at least there are no tourists there."

• Pros:Legendary destination with superb infrastructure for travelers
  • Cons:Increasingly processed, costly
  • In a nutshell:Worth the fuss
  • Last visit to Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 20, 2008

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Hello Oliver, how’ve you been? I hope to visit Aix-en-Provence next July for the opera festival – but I say that every year, and nobody believes me any more. Maybe next year will be the year.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Beautiful photo.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 3:40 AM

A nice overview of this region. Apart from Marseille I've not been here but really must do so sometime. The Calissons sound delicious, as does the restaurant!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Oliver, you have some beautiful photos here to illustrate your excellent tips! The photos of Le Pont Du Gard and Les Baux-de-Provence make we want to jet over immediately for an up-close look! Also, not a bad idea to travel in off-season re crowds!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2008 at 6:20 AM

I have eaten calisson - didn't know it was called that though

calcaf38 Visits Here Frequently!

calcaf38

“Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin”

Badges & Stats in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

Have you been to Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur?

Latest Activity in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur