"Copán, and Copán Ruinas" Top 5 Page for this destination Copán by calcaf38
Copán Travel Guide: 221 reviews and 982 photos
Copán is the name of an exceptional archeological site near the Guatemala border. Somewhat confusingly, Copán Ruinas is the name of the charming town next to the ruins.
The town is more touristic than the other spots I visited in Honduras, but it is not as gentrified as, say, Antigua Guatemala.
The ruins are wonderful, and set within a magnificent park. I had the place almost to myself for hours, early in the morning. Copán may not be as dramatic as Tikal, but it has a trump card over its famous relative in the Petén: a fantastic museum, possibly the cleverest museum I ever visited.
There are frequent shuttles between Copán and Guatemala City / Antigua Guatemala. Therefore, it would be easy to append a quick side trip to Copán to a Guatemala vacation.
- Pros:Ruins, a pleasant town, and good vibes
- Cons:Scratch the surface a little and you discover dire poverty
- In a nutshell:An essential destination in Central America
I had read about this place on VTer Willy Wonka's page and elsewhere. Before leaving home, I stuffed my bag with packs... more travel advice
South of the site, you will find a nature trail which roams among unexcavated areas of Copán. It is a delightful walk,... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Copán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Greatest City of Art in the Ancient New World"
- "Copán Ruínas"
- "Copán, and Copán Ruinas"
- "Copán Ruinas"
- "Copan, The ancient Mayan Empire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Copán
- Hotels in Copán
- Transportation in Copán
- Nightlife in Copán
- Restaurants in Copán
- Shopping in Copán
- Warnings and Dangers in Copán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Copán
- 12 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Copán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Copán
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Are you a tricky planner?"
- Wrote a Review Hogar Angelitos Felices orphanage in Copán Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walking uphill and downhill in Copán Ruinas"
- created a Copán Travelogue "Walking uphill and downhill in Copán Ruinas"
- Commented on one of sachara's Copán travel pages
Photos in CopánSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos