"Gracias, Lempira" Gracias by calcaf38

Gracias Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 116 photos

Gracias, in the Department of Lempira, is a small town of 15,000 with a rich past. It was founded back in 1539, and allegedly owes its name to the exclamation: "Thank God we have arrived at flat land (Gracias a Dios hemos llegado a tierra plana)."

Tourists - few of them - come to Gracias as the gateway to the Ruta Lenca, and to the Celaque Mountain National Park. The town itself is very attractive and deserves at least one day of your time. However, be aware that the town is not geared toward tourism. It is an agricultural center. You will find animal feed, tools and fertilizer, but no postcards, no cappuccino... This is not a judgement call. I'm telling it to you like it is.

• Pros:Architecture, history and nature
  • Cons:Limited food choices
  • In a nutshell:A genuine experience
  • Last visit to Gracias: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 2, 2009

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2011 at 6:11 AM

Looks a great spot! I love the atmospheric La Merced church especially. We saw many in Guatemala with curtains such as in San Marcos - again, very atmospheric. But while the park sounds wonderful I have a feeling the hike might be too much for me :-( BTW I'm sure that's my Guatemalan hat on your hotel bed ;-))

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2009 at 3:35 AM

Gracias looks lovely and your hike in the national park sound great! Lucky for you that it was the season for orchids!

• miguel88's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 6:53 PM

There is a direct bus from Gracias to San Pedro Sula. It leaves Gracias between 8:30 and 9:00 a.m. It did not go into Santa Rosa and stopped on the roadside for a few passengers in La Entrada, no wait at the terminal. Slightly over a 3 hour trip.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2009 at 7:56 AM

I could see myself visiting this town and country and staying in your hotel recommendation!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Gracias looks like a perfect little place Oliver! I loved beautiful Parque Nacional Montaña Celaque and the fort was nice looking too. Excellent accoms tip! Sue & I also did some wading, visitng a Mayan cave from San Ignacio, Belize!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2009 at 3:29 PM

A fine new page from your recent Honduras visit! I'm glad to learn that there is at least one town in the world with "animal feed, tools and fertilizer, but no postcards, no cappuccino..."

calcaf38

“Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin”

Badges & Stats in Gracias

Have you been to Gracias?

Latest Activity in Gracias