"Gracias, Lempira" Gracias by calcaf38
Gracias Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 116 photos
Gracias, in the Department of Lempira, is a small town of 15,000 with a rich past. It was founded back in 1539, and allegedly owes its name to the exclamation: "Thank God we have arrived at flat land (Gracias a Dios hemos llegado a tierra plana)."
Tourists - few of them - come to Gracias as the gateway to the Ruta Lenca, and to the Celaque Mountain National Park. The town itself is very attractive and deserves at least one day of your time. However, be aware that the town is not geared toward tourism. It is an agricultural center. You will find animal feed, tools and fertilizer, but no postcards, no cappuccino... This is not a judgement call. I'm telling it to you like it is.
- Pros:Architecture, history and nature
- Cons:Limited food choices
- In a nutshell:A genuine experience
On the unpaved road towards Celaque, you will find this church, amid considerable litter. This is the only church I saw... more travel advice
The San Marcos church is the largest in Gracias. It was built it the late 1800s, and what makes it distinctive is a... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Gracias Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gracias, Lempira"
- "A pleasant place to stay"
- "Historic Mountain Capital of Lempira District"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gracias
- Hotels in Gracias
- Transportation in Gracias
- Restaurants in Gracias
- Shopping in Gracias
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gracias
- 9 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Gracias?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gracias
Photos in GraciasSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos