"La Campa, one stop on the Ruta Lenca" La Campa by calcaf38
La Campa Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 21 photos
The Lenca Highlands is a region named after the Lenca ethnic group, the largest ethnic group in all Honduras. The Lenca region is located in the Westernmost part of the country, close to Guatemala and to El Salvador.
It is a remote and mountainous area. Isolation has kept the region poor (even by Honduran standards), but also untouched, and thus stunningly attractive.
The area between Gracias and the Salvadoran border is starting to market itself as the Ruta Lenca. Within a small distance, you can find several beautiful villages such as San Juan and Erandique. The villages are more primitive as you get farther from the towns of Gracias and La Esperanza.
Being short on time, I only had time to visit one village, La Campa, which has a reputation for being among the most beautiful. You can find, on line, various blogs from other visitors who have spent more time in this area, especially in San Juan where the happy few can reportedly find guides and home stays.
- Pros:Stunning landscapes, unspoiled rural life
- Cons:No tourism infrastructure at all, extremely slow transportation
- In a nutshell:Fantastic, but not for everyone
During my short time in La Campa, I was concerned that I would not find a ride, and would have to walk the 10 arduous... more travel advice
La Campa is tiny, and if you take a few steps in any direction, you are in a beautiful natural environment. I found a... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in La Campa
- 6 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to La Campa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Campa
Photos in La CampaSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos