"Tela, Punta Izopo, and Triunfo de la Cruz" Top 5 Page for this destination Tela by calcaf38
Tela Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 160 photos
The North, or Atlantic coast of Honduras would be worth a long visit of its own. Ancient Spanish forts alternate with renowned natural reserves and intriguing Garifuna villages where life seems to have stood still. And then, to the East, you have a vast undeveloped area, the Mosquito Coast (La Moskitia).
If, like me, you have limited time, you can sample the best of the North coast in and around Tela, a pleasant and laidback tropical town where the hours tick away slowly.
I visited Tela during the rainy season, and it did rain - ferociously - but not for hours and days like it does where I live. Tela feels like a different country than the other places I visited in Honduras. The Tela area is trying to refashion itself as a Caribbean cruise destination, which some of the locals view as an opportunity, and others as a catastrophe. Time will tell...
"Banana, the fate of the fruit that changed the world" by Dan Koeppel is essential reading if you are going to spend time in Northern Honduras - or if you are interested in Central American politics of the 20th Century, and in the titanic struggle between Standard Fruit and United Fruit.
Besides politics, the book describes the culture of a fragile fruit. Bananas are cloned: a Cavendish banana from Guatemala is genetically identical to a Cavendish banana from Malaysia. This makes bananas prone to diseases. (Scientists all over the world are trying to come up with a new breed before viruses and fungi catch up with the previous breed.)
- Pros:Colorful region packed with history and natural wonders
- Cons:A possible target for anarchic future overdevelopment
- In a nutshell:Off the beaten path, and fascinating
The Garifuna are an ethnic group of mixed ancestry who live on the Caribbean coast from Belize to Nicaragua. They... more travel advice
Tela is surrounded by three renowned natural reserves: Punta Sal, Jardín Botánico Lancetilla, and Punta Izopo. I chose... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Tela Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tela, Punta Izopo, and Triunfo de la Cruz"
- "Beautifully HOT"
- "TELA - HONDURAS"
- "Our Favorite Honduras Coastal Town"
- "Last trip to Tela"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tela
- Hotels in Tela
- Transportation in Tela
- Nightlife in Tela
- Restaurants in Tela
- Shopping in Tela
- Warnings and Dangers in Tela
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tela
- 16 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Tela?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tela
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Are you a tricky planner?"
- updated a Tela Travel Page "Tela, Punta Izopo, and Triunfo de la Cruz"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tela, Punta Izopo, and Triunfo de la Cruz"
- Wrote a Review Triunfo de la Cruz, a Garifuna Village in Tela Things to Do
- Commented on one of kiwigal_1's Tela travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos