"The Coffee, Orchid and Cardamom Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Cobán by calcaf38

Cobán Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 102 photos

Coban is situated between Flores and Guatemala City, in a scenic mountainous area. It is famous for its overcast weather, often chilly and damp, which is perfect for growing coffee. Also grown around Coban in significant amounts is the spice cardamom. You actually can smell powerful whiffs of cardamom around town. For visitors, Coban is mainly the base for geological excursions such as the Lanquin caves and the Semuc Champey pools. But it has a certain attraction of its own. There are many internet outlets, with good connections.

• Pros:Vistas and fincas
  • Cons:Exhaust fumes
  • In a nutshell:Worth a short visit on the way elsewhere
  • Last visit to Cobán: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 8, 2006

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Coban looks like a nice place to make a stop in for a day or two. Great tips Oliver! And thank you for visiting my Sevan page!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2008 at 12:10 PM

If Guatemala hadn't already been high on my wish-list, a page like this would be enough to tempt me there. I can almost smell the coffee & cardamom as I read!

• Apr 27, 2008 at 7:23 AM

Useful tips!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Did you measure your trip here in weeks or hours? :-] Probably the latter, though your tips give the impression of the former.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2007 at 3:58 PM

wonderfully interesting page - my finnish friends make pulla flavoured with cardoman - yummy!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Your excellent commentary along with colourful photos brought Coban to life! For a guy who loves his spices, it is strange I've never heard much about cardamom! I had to laugh at your 'early school of Star Trek' comment.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2007 at 3:39 PM

I never knew they separated out the "lesser coffee" by flotation to make instant coffee. (Might have guessed, though.) I think if I were in that area I would certainly take a coffee tour.

• Babzz's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2006 at 8:49 AM

Nice coffee tips. I wish I had gone on a tour! But I DID buy some fair trade Guatmalan coffee the other day :)

calcaf38

“Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin”

Badges & Stats in Cobán