"El Remate, halfway between Flores and Tikal" Top 5 Page for this destination El Remate by calcaf38

El Remate Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 43 photos

El Remate is a small village at the Eastern edge of Lake Peten Itza. It is halfway between the popular town of Flores / Santa Elena and the National Park of Tikal. The road is paved all the way and quite smooth. The drive from El Remate to either Flores or Tikal lasts about 40 minutes. Any minibus from Flores to Tikal or back will stop at the El Remate bus stop if you wave it down.

There is very little to do in El Remate, except to get a glimpse at village life in Northern Guatemala. I spent two good nights there. There is a small Internet Cafe on the main street.

• Pros:Quiet and unspoiled
  • Cons:Not much to do
  • In a nutshell:Convenient to visit Tikal from
  • Last visit to El Remate: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 5, 2006

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 8:12 AM

charming place, charming page (If you like wild to be wild my Koo Wee Rup pub on a tlogue on my Australia page might amuse you.)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2007 at 3:48 PM

"No one will mind you walking around smiling." That's a very good recommendation for a place. In Germany there is a saying which could roughly be translated: "Smile! It will drive people crazy wondering what you are up to."

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2007 at 10:38 AM

I enjoyed your insights into life in El Remate, especially since my wife and I were not able to stop there. Your accoms sounds like a good choice to get a local feel. Great tip on the children - we had a little Belizian girl who attached herself to us!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2007 at 7:38 PM

We stayed at Casa Don david too. We liked it too. Nice pages.

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2006 at 7:04 PM

Nice writing and images for El Remate. Here, I think our choice to stay in Flores was the better deal though. El Remate is close to Tikal, but short of nightlife.

calcaf38

“Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin”

Badges & Stats in El Remate

Have you been to El Remate?

Latest Activity in El Remate