"Flores, the Island Town on Lake Peten Itza" Top 5 Page for this destination Flores by calcaf38
Flores Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 202 photos
Flores is an attractive small town squeezed on a tiny island on Lake Peten Itza. It is linked to the shore by a short causeway. On the shore is the larger but less fancy town of Santa Elena.
Flores and Santa Elena constitute the largest city in the province of El Peten, and, to most visitors, the gateway to Tikal.
Flores is built on a grid system, with a Parque Central on a hill and a sort of beach all around with restaurants and cafes. Opposite Flores on the other side of the lake, you can climb a mirador with a good view. Santa Elena is also worth a visit through its bustling market.
Flores is a tourist destination, but less intensely so than Antigua Guatemala. Flores is harder to reach, hotter, and buggier. This tends to screen out the dreaded "luxury traveler".
In my experience, it is perfectly fine to arrive in Flores without reservations or preparations for your visit to Tikal. The town - and what it has to offer - is easy to grasp. There are several internet cafes in Flores.
- Pros:Pervasive torpor, but with a light breeze
- Cons:Not enough tourists to satisfy all providers
- In a nutshell:El sabor primaveral del Peten
The Parque Central in Flores is on a hilltop. There are a few benches and a couple of food stalls. On the day I was... more travel advice
ARCAS is a non-profit refuge where animals, rescued from smuggling attempts, are reeducated before being reintroduced to... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Flores Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flores, the Island Town on Lake Peten Itza"
- "The Spectacular Island Pueblo of Flores"
- "A NICE LITTLE PLACE ON AN ISLAND"
- "Flores, gateway to Tikal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Flores
- Hotels in Flores
- Transportation in Flores
- Nightlife in Flores
- Restaurants in Flores
- Shopping in Flores
- Warnings and Dangers in Flores
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Flores
- 15 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Flores?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flores
Photos in FloresSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos