"Sayaxché, and the Aguateca Mayan Site" Sayaxché by calcaf38
Sayaxché Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 79 photos
Sayaxché is situated midway between Flores and Coban, on the South bank of the Rio De La Pasion. There is no bridge over the river, and that's Sayaxché's gimmick and fortune: cars and trucks cross the river on a moving platform, and pedestrians cross the river in wooden launches. It creates a hubbub of activity and a honky-tonk atmosphere, making Sayaxché one of the places where you tell yourself: "Yes, this is it."
Sayaxché is also situated near several Mayan sites not as grandiose as Tikal, but not as processed either. I visited Aguateca and it was an experience complementary to my time in Tikal.
If you want to visit Aguateca and other sites, yet avoid edge-of-the-world (edge-of-you-seat?) Sayaxché, you should investigate Chimino Island Lodge, on the nearby Laguna Petexbatun. I passed it by boat and it looks beautiful. If you stay in town like I did, chances are you will be the only visitor in the place.
There is one internet cafe in Sayaxché, and it is hard to find.
- Pros:Superb remote ruins near frontier village
- Cons:Very little choice for accommodation and food
- In a nutshell:As far as you can go
There is nothing "to do" in Sayaxché, but you will have a great time just walking through town. Toward the edge of town,... more travel advice
This is the area where the King of Aguateca and his circle lived. The glory days of Aguateca were short, some time in... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Sayaxché Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sayaxché, and the Aguateca Mayan Site"
- "Rustic Pueblo on Rio Pasion with Major Mayan Ruins"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sayaxché
- Hotels in Sayaxché
- Transportation in Sayaxché
- Restaurants in Sayaxché
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sayaxché
- 13 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Sayaxché?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sayaxché
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos