"Avenida de las Cascadas, and Baños" Top 5 Page for this destination Baños by calcaf38

Baños Travel Guide: 193 reviews and 775 photos

The Avenue of the Waterfalls, and Baños

I had read that Baños is a very touristic town, ideal for chilling and partying. Being a poor chiller and a downright party pooper, I decided to stay in Patate instead. Still, I wanted to go to nearby Baños, as the starting point to the famous Avenue of the Waterfalls. This is the nickname of the road between Baños and the village of Rio Verde, on the way to Puyo and the Amazon.

Riding on a bicycle from Baños to the Devil's Bucket (El Pailón del Diablo) was the highlight of my time in Ecuador, what the heck, of my life: three hours to go 20km, mostly downhill, with several stops to admire the many waterfalls and walk on several trails.

I returned to Baños in the back of a truck, with the bicycle, and I had enough time left to get a good glimpse of the town, and its undeniable attraction, before returning to Patate for the night.

The elevation of Baños is 1,800m = 5,900ft

• Pros:Exhilarating natural beauty - Haunting atmosphere - Spooky bridges
  • Cons:Too soon it was over. Next time, I'll bike to Puyo (60km)
  • In a nutshell:The ride of a lifetime
  • Last visit to Baños: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 23, 2007

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Great bicycle tour! I might do the same when I go to Baños!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2009 at 3:46 AM

what an exciting place!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2009 at 5:51 PM

A first-class page all the way Oliver! This is just the type of thing I would love to do as well. Outstanding photos and what an interesting experience it must have been while enjoying such magnificent sights! The Tagua looks very unique too.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Excellent page! I enjoyed following your route with you, and was particularly taken with the Bride's Veil cable-car & your photos of the Devil's Bucket. The Tagua turtle is cute ;)

• Mar 22, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Excellent picture! I love the wild life.

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2007 at 7:07 PM

Nice work as usual Oliver. I like the stump jumper transport in particular...alan

• asahelys1's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Hello! am from Guayaquil Ecuador & I was browsing your page, el maduro con queso brought back memories =0)

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2007 at 8:19 AM

Another great page, Oliver. Was the bungee jumping before or after the banana/corn cheese burger? LOL!

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Hello! Nemorino directed me to your pages. I LOVE the waterfall shots. Did you go across all the bridges you took pictures of? You are much braver than I am! :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Congratulations on your first bicycle page! Great that they have a Via Touristica for Bicicletas, Cuadrones & Caballos to get around those tunnels. (What are Cuadrones, by the way?) -- (Scott MacAllister was really good as Tannhäuser tonight.)

calcaf38

“Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin”

Badges & Stats in Baños