"Overwhelmed in Cuenca" Cuenca by calcaf38

Cuenca Travel Guide: 270 reviews and 825 photos

As of now - and to my surprise - this Cuenca page is my longest, heaviest page on VT. I can't say that Cuenca is my favorite place on earth. It is too intense, too overwhelming for that. But as you can see, it is also an interesting place, with plenty to see, plenty to absorb, and plenty to learn.

Cuenca was my last stop in Ecuador. I expected an idyll, like Cuzco, or a bonbon, like Antigua Guatemala. But Cuenca was a mix of fascination and heartbreak. I am happy I went to Cuenca and got to see so much in a short time. But I can honestly say I shall not return.

The elevation of Cuenca is 2,596m = 8,517ft

• Pros:Churches, Markets, Museums, Architecture, Atmosphere
  • Cons:Thieves
  • In a nutshell:A Destination of considerable historical and human interest
  • Last visit to Cuenca: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 13, 2007

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Sorry to hear about your things getting stolen! The landscape between Guayaquil and Cuenca looks wonderful. I will fly, but hope to make a trip to Cajas NP from Cuenca.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2010 at 11:39 AM

That cathedral from 1557 is so well preserved, it does look new. YOu certainly got a lot of the local culture on your visit, and presented that very well to the readers, along with good pictures.

• Prinsalsita's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Great Pointers! Do you have a transportation tip to go to and from Ingapirca to Guayaquil? or what do you suggest to visit, if you would be traveling from Guayaquil to Peru

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 3:52 AM

But I think you are an experienced traveller - you didn't lose your passport or your money or even your Lonely Planet.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM

The Medicine museum sounds interesting, and a little bit off-beat. Also thought the aboriginal museum would be a good visit. Nice page.

• Apr 28, 2008 at 8:10 AM

Another excellent web site!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Despite the very helpful warnings, I can see there is enough in Cuenca to make it a "must visit" destination for us. Thanks for the good tips on the churches and museums especially :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Never thought I would read about the "Pont de Nantes" nursery rhyme in a page about Ecuador. Which just goes to show, hmm, whatever. (My Google Alert just popped up to say that Vera Nemirova will stage Faust in Bonn next April.)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 1:50 AM

Quite an amazing variety of weird and wonderful attractions you found in Cuenca! It is too bad those two robberies took some of the shine off your experience, stuff like that is always upsetting . Beautiful photos in your Travelogues!

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Great page Oliver - and hope that the bad experiences have not dampened your travel confidence and ambition. Working on the pages can be quite therapeutic.

calcaf38

“Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin”

Badges & Stats in Cuenca