"In the Middle of Nowhere, up on the Páramo" Machachi by calcaf38

Machachi Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 81 photos

Countless options are offered to travelers who wish to experience the "Avenue of the Volcanoes" south of Quito.

I decided to spend the night at a Hacienda between the small town of Machachi and the Cotopaxi National Park.

The Hacienda was truly a beautiful and unique place - one that I will never forget. I was able to hike, go horseback riding, and eat very well.

However, you must think hard before committing yourself to such a stay. Even for just one night, there was something claustrophobic about being so isolated. All I could hear was the wind howling, and the occasional barking of a dog.

The elevation of the Hacienda probably contributed to the anxious beating of my heart: 3,600m = 11,800ft

• Pros:Crisp Air, Majestic Landscapes, Great Food, Good Company
  • Cons:Stuffy Nose, Itchy Eyes, and Lack of Sleep
  • In a nutshell:Unlike anything else
  • Last visit to Machachi: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2007

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Great tips and fantastic photos, especially of Cotopaxi - I can't wait to see it for myself! Love the cute llamas too ;)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2008 at 7:30 AM

marvellous - une vrais lonely page - except for all the strangers you were sleeping with

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2007 at 8:28 AM

The horseback riding tour sounds great and the landscape is really beautiful! It looks like a place I would love to visit.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2007 at 3:15 AM

Oliver, terrific place you found here! I had to laugh at your 'jaw-dropping' views! It sounds like a beautiful adventure spot and thx for the fantastic photos too. The 12,500-ft elevation on the Chile border was OK for me, but that was just a short stop!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Beautiful thin-air photos. I'm glad that tough cowgirl was going to an eco-tourism convention in the U.S. -- but, as someone wrote in one of the VT forums, what the South Americans call eco-tourism we in Europe would call "going for a walk in the woods".

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Interesting, that cheese. Lama milk? And ah! There's the banana again :-) Very charming poncho, you look quite the part ;-)

calcaf38

“Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin”

Badges & Stats in Machachi

Have you been to Machachi?