"In the Middle of Nowhere, up on the Páramo" Machachi by calcaf38
Machachi Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 86 photos
Countless options are offered to travelers who wish to experience the "Avenue of the Volcanoes" south of Quito.
I decided to spend the night at a Hacienda between the small town of Machachi and the Cotopaxi National Park.
The Hacienda was truly a beautiful and unique place - one that I will never forget. I was able to hike, go horseback riding, and eat very well.
However, you must think hard before committing yourself to such a stay. Even for just one night, there was something claustrophobic about being so isolated. All I could hear was the wind howling, and the occasional barking of a dog.
The elevation of the Hacienda probably contributed to the anxious beating of my heart: 3,600m = 11,800ft
- Pros:Crisp Air, Majestic Landscapes, Great Food, Good Company
- Cons:Stuffy Nose, Itchy Eyes, and Lack of Sleep
- In a nutshell:Unlike anything else
I saw more llamas in Ecuador than in Perú. Even at the Hacienda, where the business is bulls and horses, they keep a... more travel advice
Ruminahui is an extinct volcano with an elevation of 4,634m = 15,200ft, which is very visible from the grounds of... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Machachi Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Machachi
- Hotels in Machachi
- Transportation in Machachi
- Restaurants in Machachi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Machachi
- 10 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Machachi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Machachi
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos