"One Night in Rio... bamba that is" Top 5 Page for this destination Riobamba by calcaf38
Riobamba Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 272 photos
Conventional wisdom states that Riobamba is a dreary town where one has to spend one night in order to catch the famous train early the following day.
My experience was quite the opposite. I am glad I spent one evening in Riobamba, especially as the train was rather a letdown.
In order to find out about the train, please see my Alausi page.
Important fact for independent travelers: On a map, Riobamba is halfway between Quito and Cuenca. In reality, it takes more time to go from Riobamba to Cuenca than from Quito to Riobamba. In the Northern half of the trek, the terrain is flat (albeit high) and the roads are straight. In the Southern half, the roads were built on steep grades, and loop around vertiginous mountains.
I apologize for the lightweight commentary accompanying the photos. I simply didn't spend enough time in Riobamba to find out a lot. Nevertheless, the town exerted its charm on me.
The elevation of Riobamba is 2,750m = 9,022ft
- Pros:Architecture, plus a certain je ne sais quoi
- Cons:Night falls early
- In a nutshell:A fine place to spend the night
I was told, in Pelileo (near Patate), to wait for a bus to Riobamba. But all the buses from Baños that stopped in... more travel advice
The elegant early XX Century buildings have been given sorbet colors in the commercial part of the city. At twilight... more travel advice
calcaf38's Related Pages
Riobamba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riobamba and Chimborazo"
- "One Night in Rio... bamba that is"
- "Riobamba - a quiet town in the Andes"
- "Riobamba: Your Base in the Chimborazo Province"
- "Five weeks as a Riobambeña"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riobamba
- Hotels in Riobamba
- Transportation in Riobamba
- Nightlife in Riobamba
- Restaurants in Riobamba
- Shopping in Riobamba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riobamba
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Riobamba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riobamba
Top 10 Pages
- Cuenca Intro, 24 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 31 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos
- Quito Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Carlisle Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honduras Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos