"One Night in Rio... bamba that is" Top 5 Page for this destination Riobamba by calcaf38

Riobamba Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 272 photos

Conventional wisdom states that Riobamba is a dreary town where one has to spend one night in order to catch the famous train early the following day.

My experience was quite the opposite. I am glad I spent one evening in Riobamba, especially as the train was rather a letdown.

In order to find out about the train, please see my Alausi page.

Important fact for independent travelers: On a map, Riobamba is halfway between Quito and Cuenca. In reality, it takes more time to go from Riobamba to Cuenca than from Quito to Riobamba. In the Northern half of the trek, the terrain is flat (albeit high) and the roads are straight. In the Southern half, the roads were built on steep grades, and loop around vertiginous mountains.

I apologize for the lightweight commentary accompanying the photos. I simply didn't spend enough time in Riobamba to find out a lot. Nevertheless, the town exerted its charm on me.

The elevation of Riobamba is 2,750m = 9,022ft

• Pros:Architecture, plus a certain je ne sais quoi
  • Cons:Night falls early
  • In a nutshell:A fine place to spend the night
  • Last visit to Riobamba: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 28, 2007

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Sounds like you had a nice short visit!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2009 at 4:04 AM

the climate must be very nice thanks to the altitude

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 3:55 AM

you do such fantastic trips

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Nice photos of this rarefied high-altitude town. Are those active volcanoes?

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 2:08 AM

Stunning opening shot, and I like the colourful buildings too (reminded me a little of Manaus). And I agree with Glenn - with some interesting photos like this a page can still be very worthwhile, even if you write less than usual :)

• Apr 22, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Fantastic photo!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Oliver, the tips don't have to be long to be fantastic! I admire your adventurous spirit in travelling to OTBP places like Riobamba - and thanks for sharing this amazing spot with us!

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2007 at 4:27 PM

What do people do out at twilight? You still made a nice page out of little !

calcaf38

“Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin”

Badges & Stats in Riobamba

Have you been to Riobamba?

Latest Activity in Riobamba